Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it just be a dumb idea to get the oil through everything before I drop in the motor? Im kinda at a poin where i cant do anything till my converter comes in. We start school on thurs it looks like my converter will be in on wed some time. I may end up pulling an all nighter to get it in, so i'd like to have some stuff done before I stab it. Any other suggestions of things to do while i wait? Thanks,
-Ryan

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I assume you mean pulling the distributor and using a priming tool or 1/4 inch deep socket duct taped to a long extension, chucked into your portable drill, to primer the motor with oil? No harm in doing that with the engine out. The key, however, is to make sure you have the crankshaft lined up to TDC and your rotor pointing to the number one terminal on the dist. cap before you pull the dist. It helps to put a piece of tape along the side of the dist. housing and mark where the rotor is pointing before you pull it. Help when reinstalling. When you reinstall, put the rotor about 1/2 inch or so couterclockwise from where you want it to point. As you insert the dist. the curve in the splines causes the shaft to rotate as it seats. I've been told that you have primed the engine enough when you see oil coming up through the rockers. If you are going to pull a valve cover to check this, pull the passenger side valve cover so you can check that the number 1 cylinder is on its firing stroke when you pull the dist. Good luck. I always found it hard to get the dist. back in, to seat all the way. I've been told to drop it in where the rotor is pointing where it hsould, then turn over the engine by hand and the dist. well drop right in as the oil pump drive shaft rotates. Instead, I've used a flashlight to peer down the hole and see how the drive shaft is lined up, then turn it a bit with a 1/4 socket if it doesn't line up with the dist. Don't know how many times I've had the socket come off the extension doing that. it is a pia.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The motor should be lubed before you drop it in !!!!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Just before starting you can fill the crankcase with fresh engine oil, run the Milodon or other oil pump priming tool, move the crank to 6 degrees BTDC on #1, install the distributor exactly pointing to #1. Tignten down the distributor - no need to jack around with it while starting. Now leave the spark plugs out and distrib wire disconnected. Crank the engine while monitoring oil pressure. Does it come up (idiot light go out)? If it does you're ready. Install the plugs, connect the distrib wire and fire the engine up. Should start and run immediately. Note, cranking the engine sans plugs does two things: One, if mechanical fuel pump, it fills the carb float bowls with fuel and two, makes sure oil pressure will be available when you fire up the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts