Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to body work and painting. I have some parts that I have stripped and repaired, now its time to prime and paint. I will not be doing either of these, because of the lack of equiptment and experience. I got a friend who will prime the parts for me. He works at a body shop and will prime the parts with the left over primer. So when he primes something and theres extra he can just spray my part or parts depending on how much primer is left in the gun.

Heres my question: They are down to bare metal. Do they need to be sprayed with etching primer? If so could I use a good aerosol etching primer and still get a nice result? The parts will get primed with a good primer as soon as I drop them off. So they won't sit very long with just the etching primer on them. Any help or suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

Thankyou, Jason

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
No rattle can stuff.

If the parts aren't going to sit around for long, hey can wait to be primed, especially if they’re kept in a dry environment. If you wan to protect them, you can treat the parts with something like Picklex, or PPG metal prep (can be wipped on with a rag).

Do you plan to store the primed parts for any length of time after your buddy sprays them? If so, ask you buddy what kind of primer he's planning to shoot with. If it's epoxy you're ok, the parts can be stored indefinitely. But if he's planning to shoot with high-build or some other sandable primer it’ll be too porous, the parts will be susceptible to moisture.

BTW, www.autobody.com is a great place to ask questions

·
Registered
256 Posts
You will find two opinions on what bare metal should be primed with. Some painters prefer etching primer and some prefer epoxy primer. I chose to use etching primer (Dupont vari-prime) on my car, mainly because that is what the painter who will spray the finish bc/cc wanted me to use. It seems that most in the restoration business prefer to use epoxy primer. From what I have learned, I think you will be fine with either product. The important thing is to use a complete "system" from bare metal to finish. Decide what brand paint you are going to use and use their recommended products from start to finish. :)

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
It never hurts, regardless of the type of primer to be sprayed, to first clean the bare metal with a product made for that purpose and then wipe it down with metal prep or other equivalent product containing phospheric acid. The acid etches the metal to receive the paint. It is cheap insurance for a good "bite" to the metal.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I will have to find out what primer he uses. I know the brand is spies hecker but other than that I am not sure what type.

Jason

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Do use a phospho coating on the metal. I bought a product called Jasco at Home Depot that works fine. Regarding the primer, please don't do what you are suggesting. Primer is cheap. Decide what primer you WANT on the metal, and buy some of it. Your friend can just shoot the parts all at once, or in several sessions, with very little extra work. I really don't think you want a mishmash of primers on your car. Good Luck!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I agree with dailydriver and you want to not miss match the primer. You will get results like what happened to my car before I bought it. They primed the car but then used some other kind of paint on it and a year later it all fell off. You can see pictures on my pic pages. Very dishearting to see and feel that all the money the guy put into the car and to see the paint just flake right back off.
I know now to go with a complete system from start to finish. The people who create the paint get paid good money to make sure that there product will not do this if used together, but if you miss match the paint and primer all bets are off and it is more likely to not stick to the car.

Just my two thoughts...

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked with my friend and he is going to use the same primer for all the parts. Will it matter if he uses the same primer but at diiferent times. The brand of primer is spies and that is the type of paint I was going to use. My friends shop is going to paint the car also. I believe that spies is the only paint they use there.
So should I have the parts primed first with etching primer than with epoxy or another type o top of the etching?
Thanks Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts