Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started priming using a priming tool and a heavy duty right angle drill. Started very slow with both valve cover off. Got oil to #7 intake in about 30 seconds, a lot of oil. Had to pause to let it drain. Tried again and now got some at a couple other rockers, but not nearly as much. Realized doing this without valve covers is not going to work. Took my original steel valve covers and slotted them, installed them and tried again. Still a lot of oil at #7I but getting oil at all of the rockers now but more of a drip, drip and the least amount oil at #1 and #5. As I was rotating the motor in 90 degree increments (for 2 full rotations) all of a sudden oil comes out of #7I and hits the wall 3 feet away. Inserted a shield of sorts and kept at it (you can see it in the pic). Every 90 degrees oil still shooting out of #7I and just moderate amount at all other rockers. I feel good about this, but curious as to why #7I like that?

By the way, oil pressure was 50-60 PSI on a physical gauge and I don't know RPM but I am guessing 400-500 RPM. Made pressure very fast and even at lower RPM.

This is a '68 302 block with Alum heads and a stock but new oil pump.

Oil well.JPG

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Yeah, me too "something is amiss". Oil should pump up and dribble across the rockers after a bit of priming. What is the build history?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, me too "something is amiss". Oil should pump up and dribble across the rockers after a bit of priming. What is the build history?
All new parts except the block which was bored .040 and a bunch of other machine work. Comp cams lifters, push rods, roller tip rockers and camshaft. Edelbrock E-street 5023 heads. Assembled by me after days of research and fretting every detail.

I am wondering if I may have a defective lifter in #7I. Ironic as the first set I had which I returned due to some rust pits I had taken apart all 16. This new set I did not take apart before install.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correction. It is #7 Exhaust valve but I don't think that makes any difference (I always forget the 5-8 side reverse for I and E). I also just ran another couple cycles on the crank (not priming) and that #7 valve does open and close as it should or at least as all the others do. So a bad lifter seems less likely.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, after thinking long and hard about possible failure modes, the only thing possible is a bad lifter as I am getting oil to other lifters so cant be plugged valley.

45 minutes later after tearing down I have #7E lifter in hand and get it apart. Weird as it is very different from the ones I just returned which are same part number (design change it looks like). Pulled #7I lifter to compare and it is the same as 7E design (and was working fine). The black metering disc is solid and I notice that the one from the suspect lifter is BENT! Confirmed the other was straight. This explains why oil was gushing as there is no metering on #7E. Th black plate has engineered flow paths to control oil flow to the push rod. The installs right under the top cap which feeds the push rod

So no cam break in Sunday which is a bummer as I am totally ready. I am very concerned about all my Comp Cam parts and may get a different brand of lifter. I rotated the motor manually probably 20-30 revolutions during various static checks but I would not think that would be an issue going to a new lifter as the cam has not been broken in yet.

I am so glad I primed with valve covers off.

New Lifter.JPG

Lifter Bent plate.JPG

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
I would look at that #7 lifter. It sort of sounds like it is not bleeding or leaking down properly on each stroke and then at some point the pressure all lets go at once like the lifter is collapsing. Frankly, I'm not sure how you can test a hydraulic lifter. If you take it apart you may see something obvious like some blockage inside or one of the springs is broken or something. With most all of the oil drained out you may find that something is sticking inside the lifter like the plunger piston or I don't know.

Ok never mind, LOL. I didn't see your last post.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My hat is off for your diligence, to many would have thrown the covers on and run the motor! Not a good story for Comp...
Thanks. With the oil pressure I am making, the motor might have run fine but who knows. It may have eaten the cam on break in starving other areas. Crap shot for sure.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks. With the oil pressure I am making, the motor might have run fine but who knows. It may have eaten the cam on break in starving other areas. Crap shot for sure.

Engine oiling is basically one large controlled leak, in the right areas. What you found is definitely no bueno.

This is a great lesson for those that say why check? Just throw it together...

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
My guess is that there is some blockage somewhere internally, perhaps a small piece of dirt or machining debris. I recall priming a rebuilt 289 and one of the rocker oiling holes remained dry. A pick in the hole harvested some crud. Problem solved. Hope your solution is as easy.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My guess is that there is some blockage somewhere internally, perhaps a small piece of dirt or machining debris. I recall priming a rebuilt 289 and one of the rocker oiling holes remained dry. A pick in the hole harvested some crud. Problem solved. Hope your solution is as easy.
Thanks for the suggestion. See post 9. I found a defective lifter with a bent orifice plate that allows oil to free flow essentially at that lifter.

·
Registered
6,744 Posts
This is why we need that metering plate to meter. If you are getting full flow through at 60 psi its gonna be a gusher. Its a good thing you found that. Free flowing like that doesn't maintain your pre-load. I think it would probably have wiped that lifter and cam lobe sooner than later. If that #7 was taking too much of your oil it might have partially starved the 5 and 6 lifters which could wipe those too. Oil runs back to front through the lifter galleries on both sides in parallel so 5 and 6.

The question which may never be answered is how did that thing get bent. I have run Comp lifters for the last 5 or 6 sets over the past several years with their cams, pushrods, rockers and springs. I run only the solids though. I haven't had any fails. I probably should be finding some wood to knock on right about now.

Just curious which lifters you have?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The question which may never be answered is how did that thing get bent. I have run Comp lifters for the last 5 or 6 sets over the past several years with their cams, pushrods, rockers and springs. I run only the solids though. I haven't had any fails. I probably should be finding some wood to knock on right about now.

Just curious which lifters you have?
Lifters are Comp Cams 832-16, High Energy Hydraulic Flat Tappet. I think I know how it happened. When I took apart the bad lifter it looked like the orifice plate was cocked a little but I just assumed it got pulled up when I took out to top cap. When I took apart two other good lifters the orifice was flat. When I put the 2 good ones back together, I noticed that when you drop the orifice plate in, it can easily be cocked (especially if there is oil residue in the bore) and maybe bent when the top cap is installed and compressed. If not it was bent somehow at the factory before installation.

For fun and out of curiosity, I measured the good and bad orifice plate and got .019 thickness good and .027 bad so bent .008". The bend looked simple enough to fix so I tweaked it back into shape and got it to .020 (bad one). Reinstalled and spun the oil pump again. This time still getting more oil at #7E but I estimate 90% less than before. All other rockers were dripping consistently. I am still not using this lifter but have decided to replace only the one and go with all the rest. The defect is obvious and I know now I have 15 that work.

If you prime with the valve covers off, you will know if you have a bad one almost immediately.

If you take these apart, be careful on two things. 1) get the orifice back in flat, 2) Make sure you put the orifice in the right direction. It is hard to tell without really studying them. See pics.

Lifter Orifice Plate.JPG

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I hope Comp Cams kisses your keister and sends you a T-shirt for your diligence! Please let us know if otherwise!

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
For as many products that we, as potential customers purchase, they should be trolling this site. But then, how many of us let them know we are here purchasing and pushing the word out....Hint, hint, hint, .....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts