Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using a drill to prime the oil pump on a 289 rebuild. How long should I continue to prime? I've got oil covering the rockers and pooling on the bottom of the head. Should the oil be squirting out as I prime or is what I did is good enough to start?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
You should be good to go. You should be able to feel the difference in setting those valves from your earlier experience. When you crank the engine the squirting will take place while your adjusting the valves. Be prepared for a mess.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You should be good to go. You should be able to feel the difference in setting those valves from your earlier experience. When you crank the engine the squirting will take place while your adjusting the valves. Be prepared for a mess.
Hehe, you aren't kidding. Last time I adjusted my valves, I took it up to the car wash and did it in one of their stalls. I was tired of wiping oil off my garage walls! They sell those little clips you can put on your rockers to keep the oil from squirting everywhere, they help a little bit.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I took an old valve cover and cut 8 holes in it just big enough to fit the socket in it to adjust the valves. Was still a little messy but not as bad as without.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
PLastic

I took an old valve cover and cut 8 holes in it just big enough to fit the socket in it to adjust the valves. Was still a little messy but not as bad as without.
Somebody could get rich by vacu-forming a well-designed set of thin (0.020" or 0.030"), clear, plastic valve covers to be installed to adjust valves with the engine running. The 8 holes in each one should have a tunnel that ends right above the rocker nut. Clear would help you see what you're doing and give you a view of how all the rockers are getting adequate oil supply. Maybe $20.00 per set. Would YOU pay that?

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Somebody could get rich by vacu-forming a well-designed set of thin (0.020" or 0.030"), clear, plastic valve covers to be installed to adjust valves with the engine running. The 8 holes in each one should have a tunnel that ends right above the rocker nut. Clear would help you see what you're doing and give you a view of how all the rockers are getting adequate oil supply. Maybe $20.00 per set. Would YOU pay that?

Hi,
Isn't this why some guys have an old set of VCs laying around with about a 1" slot cut out of the center area?
I'll have to admit though, I just set the idle as low as possible if I choose to go that route.
However, I'm surprised as well, with all of the tools out there some mfg. has not created a set for this. Doesn't the "chebby guys" have specific clips?
I would pay for a clear set, if nothing else, just to monitor rocker action. But, I would think after awhile it would start to mist over and you could see anything.
Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
I solved the problem of the mess when adjusting the valves. I went to the junk yard and got a valve cover and cut out the top of the cover. I also got a piece of inner tube and screwed it to the exhaust side to the top of the valve cover. I put it on the engine when I adjust valves and no more mess.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i might get a pair it would be cool to put them on and watch the rockers for a while.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Can You?

I'm a semi-retired vacuum former, idea sounds good, as always is anyone willing to pay the price.

Can vacu-forming be done over a set of stock steel covers? If so, all that will have to be done is to hole-saw 8 holes in each one in the right spot.

I haven't taken dimensions but I'd guess the rocker nuts are 1/2" to 3/4" below the surface of the valve cover. The vacuum process would probably pull the clear (polypropylene?) sheet down into the 8 holes far enough to make the "tunnels" to keep the socket from falling in and oil from squirting out.

McMaster Carr has the material for "peanuts." Sounds pretty simple if you have access to a vacu-f setup.

I'd give $25 or $30 for a set.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Can vacu-forming be done over a set of stock steel covers? If so, all that will have to be done is to hole-saw 8 holes in each one in the right spot.

I haven't taken dimensions but I'd guess the rocker nuts are 1/2" to 3/4" below the surface of the valve cover. The vacuum process would probably pull the clear (polypropylene?) sheet down into the 8 holes far enough to make the "tunnels" to keep the socket from falling in and oil from squirting out.

McMaster Carr has the material for "peanuts." Sounds pretty simple if you have access to a vacu-f setup.

I'd give $25 or $30 for a set.

Hey Bryan,

Nice thought, but, the risk is real the covers would be too big, if formed over the VCs. If formed inside they would be too small. You would need a buck slightly smaller than the actual foot print to allow for the thickness of the forming material.
I think, if you sliced the VC longitudinally, leaving perhaps a 1/2" of the VC, with the bolt flange, this could be the basis or foot-print for forming a buck.
Just musing along with the rest of you bright bulbs...
It's Race day! Yeah!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Too big?

Ken,
The mount flange of the VC's are at least 1/2".
The plastic will only be 0.024" ???
So this will only eat up 0.048" of the mounting flange.
The plastic jobs will only have to have 2 bolts or gravty to hold them in place. They only have to slightly sit on the edge of the heads .

I don't see a dimensional problem.

BC

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Ken,
The mount flange of the VC's are at least 1/2".
The plastic will only be 0.024" ???
So this will only eat up 0.048" of the mounting flange.
The plastic jobs will only have to have 2 bolts or gravty to hold them in place. They only have to slightly sit on the edge of the heads .

I don't see a dimensional problem.

BC
Cool, then, let presses roll!
VG Bryan.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Did you see that Budweiser roast of Kevin Harvick on Speed?

His wife is a NUTTTT !!! She roasted his buttt with a professional-stand-up-comic-like turn at the podium! SHE WAS GOOOOD.
Hi,

I didn't see that show. I can only think, she has an ax to grind with him? LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts