Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a new Retrosound Detroit radio for Diane along with a new dual coil front speaker and the pair of kick panels with speakers. I'd like to have them all on the front fader but the Retrosound tech reply is that it'll be seen by the radio as a short and the speakers won't work. Is there a way to do this without having to install a separate amp or should I just forget the dash speaker?

·
Registered
34,489 Posts
Put the dash dual voice coil on the front fader, and the kick panels on the rear. You'll then have the full power of all four amplifiers in use, with zero chance of problems.

Good radios. I just installed this one a couple days ago. Fitment was interesting due to the thickness of the hardwood dash. Speakers will be 6x9 behind the seats, and 4" on the firewall.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Unless your planning something different for the rear, i would do as @22GT said. This is what I did. Since I have a convertible, I would have rather had rear speakers instead of kick panels but with my new engine and exhaust, I probable won't be listening to the radio too much(except for blasting Red Barchetta on occasion).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but I'm still a little confused. I'm going to also have 6x9s in the rear, so is it possible to have the kick panel ones tied to the rears on same fader? I really don't want to use an amp.

·
Registered
34,326 Posts
I'm confused, and maybe Retrosound is, too? The "dual coil" speaker wires just like 2 separate speakers. It's a stereo input (4-wires) with 4ohm impedance. Can't see how connecting it to the front fader, along with your kick panel speakers, will make the radio think there's a short.....

·
Registered
34,489 Posts
I'm confused, and maybe Retrosound is, too? The "dual coil" speaker wires just like 2 separate speakers. It's a stereo input (4-wires) with 4ohm impedance. Can't see how connecting it to the front fader, along with your kick panel speakers, will make the radio think there's a short.....
It will cut the impedance in half. Bad idea.

·
Registered
34,489 Posts
Thanks, but I'm still a little confused. I'm going to also have 6x9s in the rear, so is it possible to have the kick panel ones tied to the rears on same fader? I really don't want to use an amp.
What body style is the car?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Diane is a coupe. Maybe I should just forget about the dash speaker.
depending on the speaker you might like the kick panels better. Only issue is you have to watch the depth of the enclosure. I could only ifnd crappy Pioneer speakers that fit the NPD kick panels. I bought the ones form Retrosound and they didn't fit. Couldn't slide in the PS kickpanel, it hit the fresh air box. NPD ones fit but the speaker enclosure is not very deep.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you might be right. I got the kick panels with speakers from NPD ; they're arriving today. I also got a new dash speaker but I can probably return it. Certainly don't want to burn out the new radio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts