Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 69 fastback 351W C4 has stock exhaust manifolds with brand new dual exhaust. The manifolds are rusty and need to be sent out to be ceramic coated. Is there any possibility of doing headers and not have to redo the exhaust?

·
Registered
36,848 Posts
Well, you'll have to cut the H pipe and weld it to the collector cones. Pretty standard stuff. You may have to slightly bend the H pipe ends to get perfect alignment.

Reactions: kenash

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,715 Posts
My 69 fastback 351W C4 has stock exhaust manifolds with brand new dual exhaust. The manifolds are rusty and need to be sent out to be ceramic coated. Is there any possibility of doing headers and not have to redo the exhaust?
While headers generally allow an engine to breathe more freely and generate some additional power at the upper rev range, it is my experience that headers do require compromises in many applications. For example, fitment can be a PITA especially if you have a clutch, power steering, or a lowered front end. If you go for the full length headers (such as Hooker Super Comps) the collectors will likely drag while traversing speed bumps and driveway aprons (been there and done that).
If you decide that you "need" the extra power or bling factor, look at the FPA tri-Y's that tuck up inside the sub-frame rails. They are well fitted especially for Mustangs with the 390 engine. I assume the 351W should be similar. Check with Stan at FPA with the details of your configuration.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I think ceramic coating the exhaust manifolds would really pop in your engine compartment (they also have stock looking shades). You'll be sacrificing a small bit of HP (depending on your build), but having stock exhaust manifolds makes so many things much simpler in your case and IMHO, they look really cool in these days of modification- mania.

·
Registered
11,740 Posts
I have a 1970 Mustang with a 351 Cleveland. I installed the Sanderson "Shortie" headers and I really like them. They clear my power steering and factory Z-bar clutch linkage. Not quite the same power as long tube headers, but still much better than iron exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may still just ceramic coat the manifolds. Just trying to decide. Since I have to pull them anyway and it will cost a couple hundred bucks plus shipping, maybe just spend a little more and get a little more power to boot.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,146 Posts
All things being equal, unless you need the extra HP, I would stick with factory manifolds. Headers create clearance issues under the hood and ground clearance, generate under hood heat, and make for a louder exhaust. If those aren't issues for you, then go for it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
If you like putting the pedal to the floor, it's worth it. If looks are important to you, go with ceramic coated. If you enjoy fewer hassles under the hood, keep the manifolds.

·
Registered
38,712 Posts
I'd pull the stock manifolds, bead-blast them, and coat with Calyx manifold dressing (Eastwood). The stock 351W manifolds flow pretty well, keep down the heat under the hood, aren't prone to leak or rust out. You might consider having the sealing surface checked for flatness and surfaced if necessary.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Adding headers, you'll have to modify current system a bit to hook up. But not a big deal. If your just wanting to do this for cosmetic reasons. The above mentioned Eastwood product will work great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts