Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only problem I have left is that I cannot figure out how to remove the rod that connect to the pedal from the 67 unit to use my 65 push rod. Anyone have any ideas how to get it out?
[email protected]
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
661 Posts
The ones I have seen that are "stuck" are the result of a plastic expanding clip that fits in a groove in the rod. Once installed in the piston, the plastic clip expands slightly and prevents the rod from backing out. If you were able to compress the clip you might be able to remove the rod.

When i've done it in the past, it was not a pretty sight once removed.

good luck

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
What John said. Take it back and ask them for one in a box with the rod not yet installed. If they don't have it, get your money back and head to another parts store.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
It is not hard to remove the old rod. I do them all the time. Put rod in vise and pry upward on the master cylinder. It WILL pop out. New rods for old Mustang are hard to come by, plus, you need the one to fit your CAR, not the new master cylinder. The 67 and newer rod is too short. If you can;t get right one, email me and I'll send you one for the postage.
http://www.mustangsteve.com/mc_rod_remove_close.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts