Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the stupidest question I've ever had to ask, but it gave me fits with my first '68, which never got driven much anyway, and now it's bugging me with the new one. When I go to the gas station I have a hard time putting gas in the car. The bumper gets in the way of the handle on the pump, and the pump constantly shuts off. So I keep pushing it until gas is backing up in the neck and dribbling back out. Then I get in the car and start it and the fuel gauge says half-full! ONCE of all the times I gassed up the other mustang I got it just right and filled it completely and the gauge read full. So what, is there some trick to gassing up these cars? It's humiliating to have BUILT the car and be having trouble gassing it up :)

Stephanie
'68 302/5sp Coupe
'95 GT Convertible

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Remember that there is no separate way for the air to get out of the tank as the fuel goes in. It is time consuming, but on my two 68's I put the fuel nozzle about 1/4 the way in, then hold the trigger on the nozzle about 1/2 way and slowly fill the tank. Pain staking I know, but it allows me to fill the tank properly and not have it over flow onto the paint.

68 GT500
68 1/2 CJ Coupe

MCA# 18519

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My '67 is the same way, always has been. The filler neck is poorly designed, so you can't fill it properly unless you do so very slowly. I just take my time and let it dribble in. Problem is that when you do this the auto shutoff may not work, in which case you end up spilling anyway. I've never heard of anyone who's figured out a decent trick for this. Sorry...

'67 cpe, daily driver

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steph,

It is a pain in the butt on my '68 as well! I live with it though. Normally I have to put the nozzle about half way in and then turn it 90* to clear the bumper. I'm getting the car painted this June so I'm seriously thinking about relocting the filler to inside of the trunk.

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Ahh, the joys of owning a Mustang......

You have it easy, us guys with the flip down gas caps have that to get in our ways too! You're going to have to tilt the handle at a 45 degree angle and fill slowly. Us taller people have a hard time bending over like that too, it's just an awkward position.

See my 69 convertible and the VMF parking lot at: http://www.geocities.com/Bishir1/FrontPage.html
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/frontside_sig01.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
TWO WORDS: Fuel Cell.

Not only is a fuel cell safer, you can also get a 22 gallon one, which will hold more gas, make it easier to fill, just pop the trunk, and there you go, but it is the only way to go on the vintage stangs! im not going to get rear ended, and be left with a burning pile of metal.... nor am i going to kill myself in the process....... get a fuel cell... its worth the money.

-Dave Flak

·
Registered
786 Posts
I turn the handle 180 degrees from normal and HOLD it in - seems to work fine this way! (This means the handle lever/shutoff is up top)

These cars were designed for the old fashioned shaped pump handles. They had quite a bend to them - and before EPA laws and unleaded fuels, they were skinny.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, that's a relief! I did used to have a flip open gas cap on the other '68, but I was hoping refueling would be easier without it so I didn't put it on this car. I'll try some of these alternative refueling tricks until I can afford the fuel cell :) that might be a long time off with all the other stuff I would like to do first. BTW a friend has a beautiful drag-racin' 65 fastback he bought off a car lot. The losers there didn't know it had a fuel cell and used the fuel filler hole instead - filling the trunk with gas. Good thing he rescued it when he did.

Stephanie
'68 302/5sp Coupe
'95 GT Convertible

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
We go to the stations here in Calif. that don't have the
vapor recovery system. The ones that do are a real
pain in the bu!!. I also found that if you can find a station
that will let you park the car in a down hill position it helps
a ton. Good Luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find you hae to put it half way in...and start slow... and slowly get faster. it will click off about 4 times.. but keep filling.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
On my 68s, I hold the handle at 3 o'clock and fill at a little over have speed. People come and go while I am filling. The most frustrating thing on my stangs.

John L. Anschutz
Allen, TX
68 Diamond Blue Coupe - 302
68 Acapulco Blue Coupe - I6 - 200
http://www.dallas.net/~jjmsansc/parts/Stangs.jpg

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
On my 67 coupe, I have found, (like other replies), that holding the nozzle at 45 degrees and keeping the pump speed down a little from full blast, will allow reasonable filling without shutoff or splash back. I don't remember this being a problem with the 67 style pump nozzles. It probably doesn't help if your car has sagging rear springs either.

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

·
Registered
391 Posts
True, the flip down gas cap makes something miserable even worse. Sometimes I can get the speed and angle just right, and that's OK until I try to breathe. There is a breather line, that if it is open so it can breathe, seems to help get the tank sort of near full.

When these cars were new, I remember seeing the occasional car with the cap open, and if the tank was nearly full sloshing fuel out when first accelerating.

Russ

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1595962&a=12199293&p=44358027.JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts