Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1968 302 has not stalled this week but this afternoon it would not start after having been driven around town. Having reviewed other postings on this forum I guess the right description is that it turns over but won't fire. (It sounds like it has started but it hasn't.) Per my earlier post ("Out of fixes for stalling problem"), point, plugs, condensor, selenoid were replaced and carburetor rebuilt.

Actually, selenoid was replaced twice - thought was that the first replacement was defective. Today, after tapping on the selenoid a few times the engine did start.

Mechanic now suggests that perhaps a "higher performance" selenoid is in order. I have no idea what type of selenoid is now on the car but would like suggestions about what to try now.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Hipo solenoid....... hmmm I dont like the sounds of that.

Sounds to me alot like the problem I was having - fuel boiling in the carb bowls. Try putting you foot fully down on the accelerator while turning the engine to see if it fires (after youve got it warm/hot like you normally do). This worked for me, and I later put on a 1/2 in phenolic spacer which has since *completely* solved the problem. I can start first go every go even after a long trip. The carby is WAY cooler than it was w/o the spacer, so obviously the fuel would be cooler too.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
High performance solenoid!? That is like saying you have a high performance watch!! A watch does one thing... display time. A solenoid does one (main) thing. It is a switch for the starter.

I am inclined to think that you have a problem with percolation (I am fairly sure I spelled that right). This may be a problem with overheating before a fuel problem. You could try a spacer under the carb, but I would check the engine temperature first.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Maybe your mechanic meant a heavy-duty type solenoid, not necessarily a hipo solenoid.
I have had problems with the standard solenoids at the parts houses (AutoZone, etc.) - I went through three in 6 months or so. I swapped to the "better" solenoid ($12 - $13 or so +LLT instead of the $5 - $6 types) and I have not had any other problems starting.
Even if you have other issues, you might want to consider this - it is an easy thing to change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts