Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
pretty certain its done right. i followed woodchuck's guide and it mentions being able to spin the rods slightly with slippery fingers. and i'll be sure to check it again when i have my intake off again
It's not being able to spin the rods slightly. It should be spin with the slightest drag with slippery fingers. There is a big difference and if too tight would cause your vacuum issue. kip

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Based on what you wrote earlier you may have them too tight.

Reactions: HPjunki

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"he also swears that its my valve springs could be weak and need replacing but everyone on this thread say thats impossible."
I don't recall saying this was impossible. kip

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It doesn't sound like you are on the idle circuit either. kip

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I don't think he said that at all. Your pcv is a "calibrated vac leak" as stated. If yours fits poorly (loose) in it's grommit then excess air will be allowed in causing issues. kip

Reactions: 66conv6 and sheza65

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Little vac leak here, little tightness in the lash dept there etc. kip

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. :ROFLMAO: kip

• Haha
Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
More than one, In 12yrs I have not had any issues with cj's. If an item is not in stock I order it from elsewhere. Most often if it is in stock I drive the 45mins and pick it up. kip

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Did you try once again to properly re adjust your valve lash or how about your timing chain?, you said your timing seems to change? At this point I can't be bothered to go back and look, but your new carb will not change your timing. At this point I have nothing more and I wish you all the best with this. kip

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"Will Benson care?"

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I have a feeling your valves may be a little tight, but you also have that one questionable stud you had mentioned before. I think I would give one more lash adjustment on the lighter side of zero lash. At the worst you get a little chatter and you move on with pulling the heads. kip

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"i tighten the rocker nuts until there is no play between the rocker and push rod."

This. It shouldn't be no play persay, but the initial ever so slight meeting of the two. If you are waiting until you feel drag you are too tight. kip

Reactions: iamdiffrnt1

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You don't pull each plug one at a time, you pull the wire off, if idle changes, replace the plug wire and go to the next. If no change, that plug wasn't firing. kip

Reactions: 66conv6 and HPjunki

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
ok.. i backed off each rocker nut 1/4. and it's actually a lot better. not perfect, but the insane shaking and jolting is mostly gone. i can get the idle down to 800rpm in park and in gear it drops to around 700. but in gear and at that lower rpm seems to bring back the shaky and jolts. but still not as bad as it was. i'd still like to go lower. the vacuum gauge still reads low 16 and slightly moving needle but definitely not as bad as it was. maybe a fine tuning of the carb and timing could fix the rest and smooth it out better? i have an afr gauge now so that should help.
You were on to something here but apparently you must've seen a squirrel. kip

Reactions: HPjunki

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
As much as I'd like to read through this thread, is the original problem solved?
I'm not sure I remember the original problem. I'll pop down to the catacombs and check the scrolls. :geek: kip

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What happens when you take your fresh valve job home and reassemble and adjust the rockers the same way you have been and you end up back here with the same issue??? I may look here hoping to see you have fixed the issue, but am banning myself from further participation. (i prefer to watch trainwrecks than be in one.) Good luck scott. kip

1 - 16 of 16 Posts