Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1001 - 1020 of 1079 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,373 Posts
Mustang guy close by willing to help = win. If not, try her…
Smile Skin Lip Outerwear Arm

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts
And we broke the 1000 barrier (and I've read every one).

Do the leak down the yourself. As mentioned, you should really start leaning how to do things yourself and not rely your "experts". There are numerous experts here that can and will help...and are trying...but you are not listening.

·
Registered
1967 mustang coupe v8 289
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,003 ·
And we broke the 1000 barrier (and I've read every one).

Do the leak down the yourself. As mentioned, you should really start leaning how to do things yourself and not rely your "experts". There are numerous experts here that can and will help...and are trying...but you are not listening.
i've done 90% of the restore on this car myself. before getting this car 2 years ago i knew nothing about cars. but there are some things that i am just not able to do on my own. especially engine work. when it comes to those certain things i expect to just take it to a pro that knows what they are doing. but its frustrating when they don't even know. but now i know if i want something done, i have to do it myself. thats why i'm here. so when i get the car back from the shop i'm just gonna have to try it myself with the help from you guys. i am currently watching videos on leak down tests. but so far from what i've learned, that is for engines with low compression. but my compression test came out fine. correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
i've done 90% of the restore on this car myself. before getting this car 2 years ago i knew nothing about cars. but there are some things that i am just not able to do on my own. especially engine work. when it comes to those certain things i expect to just take it to a pro that knows what they are doing. but its frustrating when they don't even know. but now i know if i want something done, i have to do it myself. thats why i'm here. so when i get the car back from the shop i'm just gonna have to try it myself with the help from you guys. i am currently watching videos on leak down tests. but so far from what i've learned, that is for engines with low compression. but my compression test came out fine. correct me if i'm wrong.
I'm glad you're learning if you want something done right you have to learn to do it yourself. In the past I've paid for work to be done by professionals and in the end I get hit with a large repair bill and work that's more often than not, not much better than I can do.

My last one was I was redoing my seats on my 64 falcon and recovered the rear seat with no issues. The foam on the front buckets was shot so I bought repo foam and tried to install the first cover on the seat back and it seemed like there was no way the cover was going to fit over the foam. I even had a seam on the bottom of the cover starting to come loose, trying to pull the covers down.

I decided to stop and take them to a professional and dropped them off at their shop. I explained the problem, showed them the seam coming loose and even gave them the other seat back still with original cover so they could see how it works. The guy said it would be 45-60 days before they could get to them.

A few months later I get a call that they're done and swing by to pick them up. They never got the cover on all the way seated so there was a gap on the bottom of the seat back that I had to cut and glue fabric over to hide it. They tore the other seat cover I never even touched in a similar location to the one I pulled on that had the thread come loose on. He tried to say the tear was the one I messed with. In the end they're no better than what I could have done, cost me $200+ and my car down for 2 months.

Unless I really trust a guy they don't work on my stuff.

Reactions: scottl631

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
23,071 Posts
Unless I really trust a guy they don't work on my stuff.
So you HAVE found someone to trust? Who? I got nothin'. I can't even get a new tire installed correctly around here.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
So you HAVE found someone to trust? Who? I got nothin'. I can't even get a new tire installed correctly around here.
I have a friend for paint and bodywork I trust but that's it. He's nice enough he's going to teach me to do the body work on my falcon. I think I'll probably always let paint be left to him.

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
I'm sure you'll learn, a Leak down test, given a low compression cylinder simply determines where the loss is occurring, That is, through the exhaust, intake or through a gasket leak. Your compression numbers were pretty darn good and consistent too. I wouldn't waste your time on a leak down.
You've already proven, you are willing to "dive in", just keep doing it. This is how many of us started,...... bad experiences with so called "Pros".

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,008 ·
I'm sure you'll learn, a Leak down test, given a low compression cylinder simply determines where the loss is occurring, That is, through the exhaust, intake or through a gasket leak. Your compression numbers were pretty darn good and consistent too. I wouldn't waste your time on a leak down.
You've already proven, you are willing to "dive in", just keep doing it. This is how many of us started,...... bad experiences with so called "Pros".
ok. i'll scratch leak down test off my list then. i'll have to compile a list of things to try next. car is still at the shop but thats for the alignment. which they didnt get right the first time. once i get it back i'll have to keep trying. heres to another 1000 posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I've got a brand new engine - I'm having trouble with it shaking. I'm doing a leak down test to make sure no valves are hanging. Could this be contributing to the cause of my shaking? Probably not - but I'm ruling it out. This not your issue. Sorry but if I were you I would do this - it's part of the learning process to cancel things out and learn new skills.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,302 Posts
My advice..... get the car back and don't ask them to do anything else. Get a nice clear video of the issue. Post it. We'll start from the top.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,011 ·
My advice..... get the car back and don't ask them to do anything else. Get a nice clear video of the issue. Post it. We'll start from the top.
i've tried posting video. it's hard to feel what its doing. all i can post video of is the vacuum gauge and where the tac is at and what the needles are doing. do kinda show the stumble of the engine. but i have posted videos of those before

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,373 Posts
And when you start the next 1000, please do a summary of everything up to this point.

Reactions: 69RR

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,302 Posts
i've tried posting video. it's hard to feel what its doing. all i can post video of is the vacuum gauge and where the tac is at and what the needles are doing. do kinda show the stumble of the engine. but i have posted videos of those before
So much **** has happened since then.... post another one.

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
I've got a brand new engine - I'm having trouble with it shaking. I'm doing a leak down test to make sure no valves are hanging. Could this be contributing to the cause of my shaking? Probably not - but I'm ruling it out. This not your issue. Sorry but if I were you I would do this - it's part of the learning process to cancel things out and learn new skills.
What do you mean by "make sure no valves are hanging"? Could be motor mounts or a rotating in-balance, F/O, etc. BTW, an engine with what's considered good compression and within variance doesn't benefit from a leak-down. Re-read my comments posted in 1007.
Have you performed a Vac test?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
What do you mean by "make sure no valves are hanging"? Could be motor mounts or a rotating in-balance, F/O, etc. BTW, an engine with what's considered good compression and within variance doesn't benefit from a leak-down. Re-read my comments posted in 1007.
Have you performed a Vac test?
What I mean if the preload is correct - I have compression from 145-150 cold for each cylinder. Vacuum of course I did. Not sure if you know what I mean about the preload. I'll take my advice from my machine shop - I trust them (at least for now...)

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
What I mean if the preload is correct - I have compression from 145-150 cold for each cylinder. Vacuum of course I did. Not sure if you know what I mean about the preload. I'll take my advice from my machine shop - I trust them (at least for now...)
Yeah, I know what "preload" is and how to adjust for it correctly. If what you call a "hanging valve" is, in fact, a preload issue, then this is an elementary adjustment skill any mechanic can and should be able to perform.

1001 - 1020 of 1079 Posts