Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1021 - 1040 of 1079 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yeah, I know what "preload" is and how to adjust for it correctly. If what you call a "hanging valve" is, in fact, a preload issue, then this is an elementary adjustment skill any mechanic can and should be able to perform.
Well Ken - I'm only an analyst in finance. But since you are more than simple mechanic you can solve my issue after you solve Scott's. You seem to know more about leak down tests than the guys at my machine shop. So please enlighten me since you must be the professional.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
I think he did a compression and leak down test and those were good...IIRC. At the risk of being repetitive of myself, the first thing I would do is yank the distributor and have it rebuilt/recurved by Dan Nolan...regardless if it is new or previously rebuilt. I would also replace the intake manifold and carburetor with better options along with a new carb spacer and gaskets. I would be 100% shocked if it didn't run perfect after a proper tune was installed with these upgrades.

P.S. As a matter of fact, you order the parts, get the distributor rebuilt by Dan, bring the car and new parts to Huntsville, I'll help you do the work.
Since Scott asked...

Not sure why you haven't struck up a conversation with the gentleman that is 16 miles from you offering his services/help. (Sorry I forget the name.)

Allen

·
Registered
1967 mustang coupe v8 289
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,025 ·
Since Scott asked...

Not sure why you haven't struck up a conversation with the gentleman that is 16 miles from you offering his services/help. (Sorry I forget the name.)

Allen
i plan on doing that as well. but i think i owe him an apology for the asking for his credentials joke.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,373 Posts
That would be my first step, if I were in the OP’s shoes.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
8,281 Posts
52 pages later and still no success. I stopped looking at this thread for a while but came back to see if your issue was resolved, sorry to hear it's not. But it looks like some good folks have been trying to help BUT you haven't taken their advice. My car recently started running like crap since I already had my carb rebuilt by a pro I took the advice of many here on this forum and sent my distributor to Dan at The Mustang Barn. It was a rebuilt original unit by Autoline from Napa. I answered Dan's questions about my car and how I planned to drive it. It was pure joy going for my first drive after re-installing it. It's the best my car has run since I finished the build.

It's time to pull your car from this shop and take an offer to help from one of the guys that offered to help. Given what these shops have done for you so far you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
52 pages later and still no success. I stopped looking at this thread for a while but came back to see if your issue was resolved
#MeTwo 🍿

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,031 ·
52 pages later and still no success. I stopped looking at this thread for a while but came back to see if your issue was resolved, sorry to hear it's not. But it looks like some good folks have been trying to help BUT you haven't taken their advice. My car recently started running like crap since I already had my carb rebuilt by a pro I took the advice of many here on this forum and sent my distributor to Dan at The Mustang Barn. It was a rebuilt original unit by Autoline from Napa. I answered Dan's questions about my car and how I planned to drive it. It was pure joy going for my first drive after re-installing it. It's the best my car has run since I finished the build.

It's time to pull your car from this shop and take an offer to help from one of the guys that offered to help. Given what these shops have done for you so far you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
thats what i plan on doing as soon as i get the darn thing back. right now they are still trying to get my alignment done. i wonder if i should just send out my new distributor to get recurved or send out my original

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts
See if you can find an old school speed shop in your area to do the alignment. I once took mine to a local shop where the owner owned two Shelbys. I figured he knew old Mustangs. Wrong. They screwed the alignment big time. I then went to a local speed shop that I used years before...should have just gone back to them in the first place. If it weren't for them, I would have learned to do it myself.

Reactions: 289vert

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,034 ·
See if you can find an old school speed shop in your area to do the alignment. I once took mine to a local shop where the owner owned two Shelbys. I figured he knew old Mustangs. Wrong. They screwed the alignment big time. I then went to a local speed shop that I used years before...should have just gone back to them in the first place. If it weren't for them, I would have learned to do it myself.
i just googled "speed shop" and a few popped up around here. reviews and pics of these shops show old muscle cars. although the last 2 shops i've tried had the same. i'll note them down and see

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,373 Posts
I’m going to learn how to do all this myself. Old timers are a dying breed and I’m pretty loathe to trust others with my car anyway.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,302 Posts
Yeah, when the heck did that happen?
The fact that it happened doesn't surprise me, but the speed that it happened sure did lol.

The ones that do not fear growing old are usually the ones that almost didn't get a chance to.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Distributor Curve Worksheet
Please include as much of the following information as you have available. If you need any of the parts listed below, please note this information. This must be sent with the Distributor.
Client Name
Mailing address
City, State, Zip
Phone Number
E-mail address
Model number on distributor
Vehicle Make/ Model
Vehicle Year
Engine Compression
Cylinder Pressures
Cylinder Head Work
Camshaft