Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1061 - 1080 of 1471 Posts

·
Spammer Hammer
12,731 Posts
just spoke to dan on the phone. he said my "new" distributor is trash and not even worth working on. so thats why my car completely rejected it when i had it in there. so there goes that. i'll just send him my original one whenever i get it all back from the shop. so moral of the story.. dont buy new distributors online.
I'm shocked...not really.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,694 Posts
well my problem is still there. i only used this new distributor once as a test to see if it would fix my problem. but it only made things worse. problem is still there with my original dist.
But your original distributor is likely jacked up as well. Let’s see where you’re at with a recurved one from Dan.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,694 Posts
Get that thing to Dan. Odds are this is your issue.

Reactions: scottl631

·
Registered
1967 mustang coupe v8 289
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,068 ·
I know you already re adjusted your valves, but may I suggest to re adjust them again and be very careful not to get them too tight? I have had a similar issue that was valves that were not seating 100% and acted like (was) a vacuum leak.
Troy
already adjusted valves 8 times. not sure what else can be done to get them right. if i remember correctly, one of the bolt threads were messed up making it seem like it was tight but at the right spot.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I've already mentioned a leak down test several times . But that's been dismissed by Scott and others - based on his compression test. Still be a good idea to me.

Reactions: HPjunki

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
already adjusted valves 8 times. not sure what else can be done to get them right. if i remember correctly, one of the bolt threads were messed up making it seem like it was tight but at the right spot.
Well, by your own admission it appears this may be a concern and your problem. You need to fix that stud to get a good valve setting. It may “feel” like its in the right spot, but really isnt causing a slight vac leak by the valve not seating hence a stumble. In fact, why not remove the heads and have a machine shop go over them, or just buy aluminum heads. I am betting your issue is right there. Cheap way is to pull heads and take to a shop and have new seats and valves at a minimum.
Troy

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
You're letting them do suspension work? I thought it was just an alignment.....
It was July 22d that the OP was told that they "did" some work on his engine and then went to do the alignment. His new parts were "shot" and they couldn't do the alignment until those were taken care of. I'm sorry, but my car would have been out of there 5 minutes after that phone call even if I had to beg/borrow/steal a trailer to get it home.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,074 ·
Well, by your own admission it appears this may be a concern and your problem. You need to fix that stud to get a good valve setting. It may “feel” like its in the right spot, but really isnt causing a slight vac leak by the valve not seating hence a stumble. In fact, why not remove the heads and have a machine shop go over them, or just buy aluminum heads. I am betting your issue is right there. Cheap way is to pull heads and take to a shop and have new seats and valves at a minimum.
Troy
it gets tight right at the exact spot when i tighten it down to the correct spec. i'm not saying you're wrong. its still possible this can be my issue. but my thought would be wouldnt this had been a problem since day 1? this problem just occored out of nowhere

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,075 ·
You're letting them do suspension work? I thought it was just an alignment.....
it was just for an alignment but every alignment shop i take it to cannot fix my wheels returning to center issue. (caster?) they claim for now that my power steering power valve thingy is either shot or not installed correctly. i've been sick with covid this past week so i wasnt gonna go there to pick it up anyway so i just told them to keep investigating the problem until its right. if they cant fix it, they dont get paid. so why not just leave it there until they fix it. maybe they will, maybe they wont. its worth a try.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i just told them to keep investigating the problem until its right. if they cant fix it, they dont get paid.
I'm going to guess they will want to be paid for their diagnostics...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
23,192 Posts
I would personally prefer to take it to a shop where they understand what "return to center" means and how it is accomplished. Yes, it's difficult to find shops that know what they are doing and care about what they do but it seems at this point that this shop isn't qualified or able to do what you need done. So it's not the one. Knowing that, I'd pick up my car.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,079 ·
When was that?
a year maybe? 2 years. there was a time when my engine wasn't acting this way. so what i'm saying is, the distibutor im having sent out for recurve used to work fine then. so unless it crapped out on me within that time and is whats causing my issues. who knows. i'm doing it anyway though to rule things out

·
Registered
7,993 Posts
a year maybe? 2 years. there was a time when my engine wasn't acting this way. so what i'm saying is, the distibutor im having sent out for recurve used to work fine then. so unless it crapped out on me within that time and is whats causing my issues. who knows. i'm doing it anyway though to rule things out
I was sincere in asking the question because the history might be important to go back and find out just when and what started this. I was under the impression that you inherited it this way.

The curve on a distributor won't necessarily change but they do wear out. The shaft bushings go and will cause the distributor shaft to wobble which jitters the timing. If it is a bad wobble the rotor will start to carve a groove in the distributor cap at the terminals. The advance pot diaphragm can stretch or actually crack and the mechanical advance springs can stretch out or one might break or come loose. Either of those will seriously mess it up. A recurve operation will generally correct any of that and do a rebuild of the distributor if it is needed. It may be needed on yours but I am not for sure it will fix the issue.

Not knowing just what is causing this it would help to address any issues that are found even if it doesn't look like they are part of the problem. Sometimes the problem will go away doing that.

1061 - 1080 of 1471 Posts