Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1401 - 1420 of 1516 Posts

·
Registered
43,007 Posts
ok i popped out that lifter.. i've never touched a lifter before. how do i test it? after watching a video.. i should be able to press down on the part where the rod rests onto and it should be springy? my lifter does nothing. like its stuck
Bring it on over and I'll put it in my lifter checker....
Cylinder Tool Gas Camera accessory Metal

·
Registered
3,286 Posts

·
Registered
1967 mustang coupe v8 289
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,404 ·
Use a pushrod and lean into it. The spring tension is fairly stiff. It may well be stuck, and that could be your issue...grab another one off to compare if you are unsure.
i did that to 2 of them. they both feel the same. nothing happens. was like pushing on a rock. but the little piece inside can move up and down if i lift it with a needle inside the little hole very slightly

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i did that to 2 of them. they both feel the same. nothing happens. was like pushing on a rock. but the little piece inside can move up and down if i lift it with a needle inside the little hole very slightly
Hmmm, so the plunger will lift up and not go down...that's a problem for sure. Pretty much impossible to get the right preload if that spring won't move and if it's not all the way up to begin with. Might want to add a cam and lifters to your supply list.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hmmm, so the plunger will lift up and not go down...that's a problem for sure. Pretty much impossible to get the right preload if that spring won't move and if it's not all the way up to begin with. Might want to add a cam and lifters to your supply list.
Engine refresh incoming.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,408 ·
is it supposed to be springy? it just goes down on its own with gravity. should this test be done without oil in the lifter?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,409 ·
the plunger does go down when i tighten the rocker in the engine though. so maybe thats normal. probably needs more pressure than just doing it by hand on the bench

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
But, but we need our daily updates:

(in booming voice)
Today on As the VMF turns....
Will scottl631 finally find the correct combination of issues to get his car fixed? Stay tuned after a message from our sponsors.

Let's just hope it is not cjpp or we'll be waiting forever. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

John

• Haha
Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
380 Posts
Same, they are actually one of the fastest vendors I've dealt with. They even use OnTrac shipping most times which somehow manages to get stuff to my door in less time it would take me to pick up in person.
Same for me. I used them for some of the parts in my recent motor swap. Arrived quickly and without incident. The only time I ever have issues with them is if I have to call them.

1401 - 1420 of 1516 Posts