Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1441 - 1460 of 1516 Posts

·
Registered
1967 mustang coupe v8 289
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,441 ·
I'll give some honest advice since I didn't understand your whole issue before. Have you made any changes to your timing after putting on the new carburetor? Have you tried adjusting it with the new carburetor yet? Also, what were the end results on trying to fix the lifter/pushrod?
i guess you have a point there. i have not tried to adjust my timing with new carb yet. i noticed the timing jumping issue right before i removed my old one. does timing need to be different with new carb? end result of that rocker was putting my lifter back in because i thought it was broken but it wasn't.

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
742 Posts
i guess you have a point there. i have not tried to adjust my timing with new carb yet. i noticed the timing jumping issue right before i removed my old one. does timing need to be different with new carb? end result of that rocker was putting my lifter back in because i thought it was broken but it wasn't.
What carburetor did you use to have and what carburetor is now on the car? Additionally, I am wondering if you put in a new intake along with the new carburetor. Chances are, you may have put your distributor in a different place that may have the rotor directly at TDC on the compression stroke or after TDC on the compression stroke which may be causing it to run rough. Additionally, it probably runs smoothly above 1000 rpm perhaps due to the vacuum advance. What I would do is try and adjust your distributor again. Bring the #1 piston to a tiny bit before TDC on cylinder 1. Then, make sure the rotor on your distributor is ready to fire on that stroke for cylinder 1.

I had to tackle with a similar issue in my Engine Overhaul class. We were working with new 350 v8 crate motors from Goodwrench. Turns out when the previous people worked on the engine last, they did not put the rotor in the correct position when reinstalling the distributor. As a result, my group had to correct the distributor and make sure that the timing was correct. It ran a little rough when idling it. But after adjusting the timing a bit by advancing the distributor position, it ran great at idle.

I am unsure if you have already tried this or not. But if you think you did, I would try it again. Chances are, you may have forgotten to do so when first tackling this issue.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Did you try once again to properly re adjust your valve lash or how about your timing chain?, you said your timing seems to change? At this point I can't be bothered to go back and look, but your new carb will not change your timing. At this point I have nothing more and I wish you all the best with this. kip

·
Registered
1970 Ford Mustang, Windsor 302 V8, C4 Automatic Transmission, Holley 600 Carburetor
742 Posts
TB350 has a good point. If your timing chain is loose, it could cause it to slip on the camshaft causing your timing to seem to change in your eyes. I would check it just like TB350 said. Pull off your timing cover and examine the play in your timing chain. Even though it may be grueling to do, it's worth checking, especially in your case.

·
Registered
1967 mustang coupe v8 289
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,446 ·
TB350 has a good point. If your timing chain is loose, it could cause it to slip on the camshaft causing your timing to seem to change in your eyes. I would check it just like TB350 said. Pull off your timing cover and examine the play in your timing chain. Even though it may be grueling to do, it's worth checking, especially in your case.
my old chain was loose. i put a new one in months ago and it was tighter. this jumpy timing is something new now. wasnt doing that before. when i point my timing light at the balancer while its running, the pointer jumps all over the place in tune with the engine shakiness. i try to set it to 12 degrees like i normally have it.. but now it just seems to be at 10-12 degrees. if what im explaining makes sense. i'll try to get video of it tomorrow if i remember

·
Registered
43,007 Posts
my old chain was loose. i put a new one in months ago and it was tighter. this jumpy timing is something new now. wasnt doing that before. when i point my timing light at the balancer while its running, the pointer jumps all over the place in tune with the engine shakiness. i try to set it to 12 degrees like i normally have it.. but now it just seems to be at 10-12 degrees. if what im explaining makes sense. i'll try to get video of it tomorrow if i remember
If the light "jumps all over the place" it's because the cylinder is not firing, consistently, at the same time on every other revolution. This is most likely an ignition secondary misfire issue. What you are seeing when the pointer "jumps" is the cylinder firing when it isn't supposed to... spark is "jumping" somewhere or you have an inductive crossfire issue.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I don’t think I want this thread to end. My guilty pleasure, like the prime time soap opera “Dallas”.
Knowing nothing will ever get resolved but the emotional angst keeps you coming back.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,731 Posts
More like “How I met your mother”

·
Registered
1969 Ford Mustang Convertible
88 Posts
I think that even when he gets this problem solved, this thread should carry on with the next unsolved problem…..not that I’m wishing that on myself or any of y’all….But something’s bound to break and repeatedly defy the mass efforts of the VMF. One rule though: Only one unsolved problem at a time!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I think that even when he gets this problem solved, this thread should carry on with the next unsolved problem…..not that I’m wishing that on myself or any of y’all….But something’s bound to break and repeatedly defy the mass efforts of the VMF. One rule though: Only one unsolved problem at a time!
Assuming this issue ever gets resolved…
Troy

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The title certainly fits.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think we should make this thread like the “dread pirate Roberts” from The Princess Bride movie, who hands the title off to a successor when the pirate is ready to retire. Once the OP’s problem is solved (or not), he can just hand this thread over to the next guy who has a stubborn problem that still isn’t solved, and on, and on….

1441 - 1460 of 1516 Posts