Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 A Code with Top Loader and stock clutch. I have the adjustment rod fully extended yet the clutch does not engage until close to the bottom of the pedal travel. The pedal hits the floor mat when shifting and has left a mark. One thought is to put an adapter on the adjustment rod to provide additional adjustment, but I am wondering if I don't have a larger problem. Any suggestions?

Weave

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
When mine got that way, I had to put new plastic bushings in my z bar (that's the strange arrangement that goes between the engine and frame, from the clutch pedal rod to the clutch arm rod). You can buy a rebuild kit from NPD for pretty cheap.

I hope that fixes it for you.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Midlife has/had the same problem. I got a couple of long nuts, an old clutch rod, and fashioned an elongation piece, which required some cutting of the rods, and using the nuts as jamb nuts. I don't know why I needed to elongate the rod, as the rest of my components were new. However, the Zbar was reworked some, so maybe it wasn't welded back together with the right angle on it.

PM me if you want specific details of how to make the clutch rod longer.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Watch out, it sounds like the Z-bar is bent and in my experience, will get worse. I had the same thing happen with the repro K Z-bar I use because I use K manifolds and the Z-bar was soft imported crap. After messing around with elongating the adjustment, I took the Z-bar out and had it shaped back to original and had gussets welded on to add support. No problem since then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts