Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that some of you have a trailer for your car, and hope that some expert on ramp door torsion springs will help me.
I bought a 2006 20 foot Olympia Cargo Mate last summer to provide storage, and a way to transport a Mustang. The ramp door was hard for me to close when I got it, but now,after three attempts to fix it, it is harder to close and hard to open. Two of my sons and one grandson have each, at different times, rewound the springs to no avail. Once we had it where, when opening, would stop a foot off the ground and was very hard to open. I don't know if the springs are bad or what. The cables wind up and unwind ok. I don't want to take it anywhere as it is full. My '72 Mach I project and a new interior plus other parts for my '67 Convert (I'm getting it ready for paint) ar in there. I have Googled and searched you Tube without finding the answer. All help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Why not contact the manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Those doors are heavy. If its stopping and not touching the ground, the spring is too tight, the hinges are binding, or it has run out of cable. Mine is fairly easy to pull down when it is closed, and once it comes down, you need to hold it as it nears the ground or its gonna hit hard. Once down on a level surface, I have about one wrap of cable left on each end.

This is my brand new trailer, it has a single off set spring to assist with the dual cables to move the door. My lower hinges have grease fittings to help keep things moving smoothly.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts