Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '65 fastback that recently lost its heater core. After a very frustrating 5 hours, I finally got the new core installed. The problem I'm having now is that I can't find a tool that will expand the clips to allow me to reinstall them. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
There might be a tool out there, but I usually use a flat screwdriver. Be careful, the case is old and fragile, and prone to breaking apart.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yu, I took a pair of needle nose pliers and gently loosened them (the clips) because of concern for fracturing the fiberglass hooks on the box. I loosened them up enough to where with gentle finger pressure they will go on & off.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made one out of a pair of 90 degree needle nose & welded a small plate on the end... worked well.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I use a pair of Snap-On transmissions snap ring pliers (#SRP4) Insert into the hearter box clip and gently squeeze and install on the box. Might be a little tight with brand new pliers, it is snug with my older pliers but work like a champ. Hope this idea helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did the same job this afternoon. I covered them with a cloth and tapped them lightly with a hammer and they snapped right on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts