Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
here are two more pics, maybe they will help. He mentioned the valves are 3 angle ground and no valve seats are currently installed.

http://www.users.ezwv.com/~gregw/289b.jpg
http://www.users.ezwv.com/~gregw/289c.jpg

I dropped off the head at the machine shop today and showed him the rocker, but he could not see any wear on it and the rod is straight. Since the lifters are hydrolic, he says that the cam would not be the problem. Strange to have this stud break twice and not know why.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I agree that it is strange the same stud would break twice...when you get the head back together and on the engine and adjust the valves, position that valve so it's all the way open and see how thick of feeler guages you can slip between the coils..

Thanks for the pix of the head....would have been nice to see a valve in the intake hole but, anyway, the angles shot put my mind at ease...doesn't look so bad now.

Post an update when you get the head back of if you have any further questions..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
ok,got a new question. I decided to replace my old Edelbrock torker manifold (didnt seal too well any more)and got a new holley exellerator intake. problem im having is that for some reason coolant is making its way out through the bolt hole near the bypass. I replaced the gasket twice, but still comes through that bolt hole. Im not sure but maybe there is a small hole or crack at the end of the hole? the only thing i can see is that the bypass hole in the intake and thermostat housing dont quite match up. wonder if that is forcing coolant through the gasket to that hole.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
My guess would be a crack or porosity in the manifold casting...IIRC, isn't that end manifold bolt external (you can see the bolt under the manifold flange)? If so, any coolant finding its way to the bolt would likely run down the bolt externally,yes? I can't imagine a bad T'stat housing gasket causing this, but my memory may be a bit muddy..*G*

21 - 24 of 24 Posts