Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I hope everyone is doing well on this fine Tuesday night.

I have a question about the Scott Drake steering wheel adapter. It seems that the two spring loaded contacts on the turn signal switch are digging into the copper plate on the adapter. See the pic below. The arrows are pointing out where the contacts have worn through the copper. I did use a generous amount of dielectric grease as well.

Any idea on how to fix that? The plate looks level.

Thanks in advance,
-Shannon

·
Premium Member
11,546 Posts
Loosen the nuts that secure the clamp that holds the steering tube to the lower dash and slide the tube away from the steering wheel which will also move the horn contacts away from the adapter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LastDeadLast, thank you for posting this, i put my wheel back on the other day and i am getting a metallic rubbing sound whenever i turn. I think you guys just solved my problem. Will try it out this weekend!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awhtx,

Thanks for the reply.... What you said brings up a point that I thought was unimportant at the time I was creating my original point.

I've got an Ididit tilt steering column so the entire column is not adjustable. Link to Ididit product page click here.

Because of the design of the Scott Drake adapter, I am able to see how the contact poles get compressed and they are almost nearly compressed as far as they can go down.. so I'm sure that's the problem. However as far as I can tell, I can't adjust that part of the column.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Shannon

P

·
0 Posts
Seems more people have too much clearance and have to slide the column up . . but you may be different :)

·
Premium Member
11,546 Posts
awhtx,

Thanks for the reply.... What you said brings up a point that I thought was unimportant at the time I was creating my original point.

I've got an Ididit tilt steering column so the entire column is not adjustable. Link to Ididit product page click here.

Because of the design of the Scott Drake adapter, I am able to see how the contact poles get compressed and they are almost nearly compressed as far as they can go down.. so I'm sure that's the problem. However as far as I can tell, I can't adjust that part of the column.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Shannon
Contact Ididit and ask them what to do.

P

·
0 Posts
This is exactly why getting the newest do-dad or such for a old car can cause so many other problems. Engineering ( i posted a long blurb recently ) involves so many hings, areas. Change one and it effects others. No you involved outside companies, who are not talking. communicating . and this is what you get unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
11,546 Posts
Maybe some light weight (low tension) springs under the horn contacts will put less pressure on them against the hub. Cut a couple of coils off the existing springs or maybe the spring out of a ball point pen?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe some light weight (low tension) springs under the horn contacts will put less pressure on them against the hub. Cut a couple of coils off the existing springs or maybe the spring out of a ball point pen?
I was actually thinking about doing this... I'm waiting to see what Ididit comes back with before cutting anything.

-Shannon

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is exactly why getting the newest do-dad or such for a old car can cause so many other problems. Engineering ( i posted a long blurb recently ) involves so many hings, areas. Change one and it effects others. No you involved outside companies, who are not talking. communicating . and this is what you get unfortunately.
My car is the picture of this.. its a rolling experiment of sorts. Holley EFI, upgraded electrical, brakes, suspension, drivetrain... you name it. But I know and understand this. If you want to modify or attempt to improve something you need to expect to bleed a bit.

The Ididit column is a great piece, very nicely engineered IMO. I guess part of the problem is you have too many options to really account for from a manufacturing perspective.

Its all fun. :grin2:

-Shannon

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
It could be that the adapter is actually rubbing on the column. What is the gap between the adapter and the column?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is not the issue. That is one part I can adjust (the adapter has a sleeve that can move up and down to narrow or enlarge that gap).

-Shannon

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
This is not the issue. That is one part I can adjust (the adapter has a sleeve that can move up and down to narrow or enlarge that gap).

-Shannon

My adapter also has that feature. So then that just leaves the two horn buttons being the issue. I'd be interested in seeing what IDIDIT says. I'm assuming you have the Ford splined column? IDIDIT might say it is the adapter that is the problem.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My adapter also has that feature. So then that just leaves the two horn buttons being the issue. I'd be interested in seeing what IDIDIT says. I'm assuming you have the Ford splined column? IDIDIT might say it is the adapter that is the problem.
Yes it is the Ford spliced column... I spoke to Ididit this morning and I sent them my pic.. we'll see what they say. They also said that they used the Scott Drake turn signal/horn switch as well... so one would think that it would all work together. :nerd:

-Shannon

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yes it is the Ford spliced column... I spoke to Ididit this morning and I sent them my pic.. we'll see what they say. They also said that they used the Scott Drake turn signal/horn switch as well... so one would think that it would all work together. :nerd:

-Shannon

When I spoke to IDIDIT about replacing my column I asked about the Ford splined column, and they indicated that the turn signal mechanism in it was weak. They said if I was not using a genuine Ford wheel I could go for the GM column, which has a stronger turn signal mechanism since I'm using a 9 bolt adapter anyway. That is what I did.

Peter

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I had the identical issue with a GT performance wheel

slid collumn down and all good.

That post by Petes ponies was spot on about modifications. The more original the car is the easier my life is to get everything working.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I spoke to IDIDIT about replacing my column I asked about the Ford splined column, and they indicated that the turn signal mechanism in it was weak. They said if I was not using a genuine Ford wheel I could go for the GM column, which has a stronger turn signal mechanism since I'm using a 9 bolt adapter anyway. That is what I did.

Peter
Thats probably the way I should have gone... however I would have had to re-purchase the steering wheel adapter which I've been using for several years. In hindsight, the extra expense might have been worth it.

-Shannon

1 - 20 of 27 Posts