Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now keep a spare in my trunk. Since I finished my restoration I have gone through a few solenoids on the positive battery cable. Has anyone else had this kind of problem? I doubt it's the part. Maybe my gen isn't working right or something and the wireing inside is getting burned up. Any advise?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The starter solenoid shouldn't be able to be damaged by the charging system....

More likely it's something in the starting system or the solenoids you've used are low quality.

·
Registered
21,090 Posts
Yeah, I agree. if the terminal for the cable off the battery is burning up it's most likely poor quality solenoid providing the connect is tight. Try looking in Mc Master Carr catalog. they sell soleniods for industrial use that are most likely much better quality.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
The solenoid needs to be grounded, and it is grounded on the back side where it fits against the fender apron. You might be burning out contacts inside the solenoid by not having a good enough ground. Try scraping a bit of paint off where the bolts attach it to the apron.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,755 Posts
Also check/clean/tighten the engine grounds and the battery cables. A bad connection at any point can cause premature death of a solenoid.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THanks for the tips. All the terminals and cables are nice and clean. I'm on my 3rd solenoid, so I'm sure it's not them. I'll go with Midlife's suggestions and scrap some paint where I'm bolting it down. If all else fails, at least NAPA said the last one I bought is warenteed for a year! I just don't want related or more serious problems following.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts