Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out whats going on with my car. I have a fresh 289 with a new holley 650. The ignition system (something I know little about) is a m id seventies factory system. I have had problems with the car loosing power in the past at high rpms. It also seems to pop and backfire at high rpms. I have checked the timing and it seems to be on. I have also adjusted carb and it seems ok. I have changed the electrical box for the ignition in the past and that seems to fix the problem but only temporarily. I have not tried doing this since the new engine. I was wondering if this could be an ignition related problem or not. I should also mention that this is a sixty five car.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
A carbon tracked cap and/or rotor button comes to mind right off.... Could be weak valvesprings or valves adjusted too tight, lean mixture, timing set too high, worn spark plugs, bad magnetic pickup, loose wiring, lo voltage.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Does it feel like its running out of gas? If so you may just have a clogged fuel filter, that would cause the symptoms you are describing...

·
Registered
680 Posts
I am lost when you said that you have changed the elevtrical box....What electrical Box???? do you mean the condenser inside the distributor?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like a Vacume Advance problem, but I am not sure you are running one. Could you give a little more description of what you have?
Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts