Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 GT mustang with disk brakes in front/drum rear. Installed new master cylinder and can’t get brakes to bleed out. It has an original proportioning valve. I can get fluid out of all bleeders And when pumping brake pedal gets stiff but still pushes to floor. It also never produces a full stream of fluid to rear brakes.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
1. Did you bench bleed the new MC to remove all air before connecting to the lines?
2. What MC did you get?
3. It is possible that the prop valve is clogged. I would disconnect the out line from the valve and see if I could get some compressed air through the line. Be sure to have a rag on the bleeder so you do not spray brake fluid everywhere.
4. Once you determine the rear line is clear, test the line to the prop valve the same way. Again rags to keep the fluid from spraying. If the line is not clear, then see if you can clear it. Bare copper wire works pretty good here. If both of those are clear, the valve is probably clogged. Common occurrence.

Reactions: silverblueBP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Did you bench bleed the new MC to remove all air before connecting to the lines?
2. What MC did you get?
3. It is possible that the prop valve is clogged. I would disconnect the out line from the valve and see if I could get some compressed air through the line. Be sure to have a rag on the bleeder so you do not spray brake fluid everywhere.
4. Once you determine the rear line is clear, test the line to the prop valve the same way. Again rags to keep the fluid from spraying. If the line is not clear, then see if you can clear it. Bare copper wire works pretty good here. If both of those are clear, the valve is probably clogged. Common occurrence.
Thank you very much. Will attempt tomorrow. If the valve is clogged and I can’t get it to clear any suggestions on a replacement valve. The MC I got was from CJ pony - dual cylinder.

·
Registered
863 Posts
If your using the original rubber lines at the wheel cylinders and calipers, replace them as it is not that uncommon for them to swell inside over the years and restrict flow.

·
Registered
453 Posts
This system works wonders. Properly flushes and degases system and makes it so you can do the job by yourself. For the first time my brakes and my hydraulic clutch feel airless. The universal kit worked on my mustang MC and my modern driveline clutch reservoir.

This helped keep the mess down: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9XHVKA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts