Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i've installed a t-5 transmission in my 65 mustang [about 2 months ago] and I bought it from a wrecking yard which they said it was rebuilt.
i test drove it and it wouldn't go into 4 gear right. [i'll go in but u cant pull it in smoothly. you have to yank it in and sometimes it wont go in] syncros probably. it also leaks tranny fluid.
[obviously it wasnt rebuilt/correctly]

all the other gears work fine.

until..

a few days ago it wont go into 5th gear [overdrive] now. i'll go to push it into it and it just wont go in. if i push it kinda force fully and let the cluth out slowly u can hear a gear grind kind of.

so idk wats wrong with it. could it be low on tranny fluid? idk help plz

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Napaguy's guess is probably a good place to start. If you don't have your cable/clutch adjusted properly you will have issues getting in gear (could explain the grinding sound you hear). Also, check your shift stops and shift boot if you are using an aftermarket shifter.
Daniel

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
You did use ATF, not gear oil, correct??? ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes im using a cable clutch. i am also using atf.

i'll check the fluid. also would u guys know where the most common place t-5's leak fuild from? cause its really making a mess and im just being lazy and dont want to have to search for where its leaking

but im guessing that i should adjust the clutch cable so its a little tighter then correct?

N

·
0 Posts
The t5's I have owned have never leaked so I cant be of much help there. I am thinking you need to tighten the cable as opposed to loosen.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sounds like to me you now have a three speed.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Not many places for a T5 to leak. Maybe the rear seal where the yoke goes into the tranny. Other places could be the input bearing retainer for the countershaft, tail housing to the gear case. If it is not as simple as a cable adjustment, tear the tranny down. I rebuilt mine and it was a piece of cake. I bought the T5 rebuild video from Hanlon motorsports for $21(worth every penny)and the T5 service manual off e-bay for $20. I'd never taken a tranny apart before in my life. The T5 is very easy to work on and service. You will need a hydraulic press and some gear pullers if you wish to do a complete rebuild of it. If you just need to change the synchros, all you need are the gear pullers(Harbor Freight for about $20)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
bchampion said:
Not many places for a T5 to leak. Maybe the rear seal where the yoke goes into the tranny. Other places could be the input bearing retainer for the countershaft, tail housing to the gear case.
Look to see where the drip(s) are comming from. You may see one in progress and narrow down where the leak is. It seems it is quite common for T5s that have had the case opened to leak or at least seep a bit. There are several places to leak as mentioned, but the most common I've seen is between the main case and the tail housing (reverse/OD/mainshaft gear housing). If the case has been opened and not sealed properly, chances are it has at least been looked at if not actually "rebuilt". Check to see if there's a drip at the base of this junction. You might also check the front bearing retainer (will show up probably as a drip on the front of the bellhousing or between the bellhousing and the tranny). Check to see your pipe plug (fill hole) on the passenger side is completely "tight", too.

The newer bell crank style of clutch release needs to have a bit of preload to function properly. If it doesn't have the preload, the transmission won't always release fully and you will have trouble shifting. Also, if your transmission still has the original (pre-1993) aluminum front bearing retainer, it may be galled and not allowing the throwout bearing to move/release as it should.

Good luck on the troubleshooting.
Daniel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts