Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The Numbers stamped on my driverside fender say that I have a 66 coupe, C Code from San Jose. (C6RO7).

But........ all the small items on the car say 65 (ie: seat belts, doors skins etc.)

Is there any way of telling the exact day the car rolled off the production line?

Thanks, Greg.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Remember that the 1966 model year production began in August, 1965. It's perfectly reasonable for everything on your car to have 1965 dates.

There is no way that you can tell the exact date it rolled off the line. The door tag will give you the approximate date. If you are missing the door tag, we can give you an approximate date if you will give us the unit number (last six digits of your VIN).

·
Registered
456 Posts
It is possible it cuold be a changeover/mid-year thing. It's pretty hard to tell when EXACTLY a car was built, but if you have the door tag info and can post it here, we'll be able to help and give a ALMOST perfect date. The date code was a SCHEDULED date for the car to be built-sometimes it wasn't completed until a couple days or even weeks after the code stamped inthe door.
If it was a early 66, it may have 65 accessories/items on it, because if Ford didn't have the 66 model stuff tooled yet, they just used 65 stuff until the newer model year stuff was ready. Also remember this was the 60's, and anything was/is possible(L). Maybe someone liked the 65 stuff better at some point in time and put it in there..who knows..
Either way, if you post the door tag info we can help...

·
Registered
615 Posts
J.I.T. (just in time inventory) did NOT exist in the mid sixties. Many of the sub parts where produced many many months ahead of time. For example my 65 convertible which is date coded Jan, 1965; has many many parts dated March - April 64. In fact the motor a 200ci 6 cylinder was not available until August 1964 (1965 production year). Most of the old sub parts when I rebuilt the motor where dated March 1964. In addition ins the early 60's many of the auto plants closed for 3 -4 weeks in July for re tooling. If the parts did not change, which was the case for 1965 -66 the sub parts would just keep on being produced. Hope that all makes sense. doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts