Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More progress on the '65 this weekend. Doors, locks, handles and pony door lights installed/wired up. New KYB Gas-Adjusts on all four corners (I'll post a pic or 2 soon)
*New! - As promised here ya go:
Back up on jacks to install shocks and the beta version of my stripes. :p
But, lookie, lookie...she has doors! ::
http://home.comcast.net/~fastback65.com/images/resto/re_doors.jpg

And, the pony door lights are now in and functional, they look even better than I imagined!
http://home.comcast.net/~fastback65.com/images/resto/ponylight_on.jpg

The minor doofus came while putting on the stripes, perhaps it was more of a learning experience than doofus...the only thing hurt in the process was my pride. Oh, and a huge waste of time! ::

A few bubbles in one stripe and poor positioning in the section for the rear quarter. We pulled them off and decided to take another crack at them next week. :p

Should be cutting out the dash next week and attempting stripes version 2.0. ;)

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Ive done the GT stripes twice on mine. First time with the standard repro stripes from Cal Mustang (probably same brand everyone else sells). They were kind of a bitch to get on there straight and bubble free. After a couple years of regular driving, car washes etc. they were in pretty ragged shape, so I peeled them off and put new ones on. This time I got them from Graphic Express. MUCH better. Easier to get on, all cuts in place, and after 1+ years they still look new. A little more expensive (~$25 as opposed to ~$18) but well worth it.

Did you use a good degreaser/wax remover over the area first? That's critical for the stripes.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the bubble thing wasn't the biggest deal....used too much water. The second section went better but wasn't paying enough attention to the alignment...duh. By the time we shut the door and looked again, it was too late to move them. Had to start over. ::

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
A spray bottle with slightly soapy water works well to apply the stripes. Stays slippery longer than straight water, so you have a little more time to adjust before it adheres. Good luck with set #2!

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"We" would be my brother Chris and myself. We are also replacing the new trunk lock cylnder after having to "gently" removing it due to bad casting of the repos.

I owe Chris big-time. He'll get me back when he purchases his Factory Five Cobra kit next spring or summer. I can already hear the phone call: "Hey, man...hop in that shiny red fastback I helped you on and get your a$$ up here and help me on the cobra!" ::

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I especialy like the frechly opened parts boxes scattered all over the floor. Cant wait to have THAT much fun :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts