Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...first the good news:

Major progress today...got the 400sanding wrapped up and primer seal shot! What does this mean? We WILL be painting next weekend! ::
"Hey, does anybody else see that little light...the one over there...coming out of the tunnel!" :p

The bad news:
Finally pulled the face plate of of my 80s style crappy kenwood tape deck and to my fears were true...some A-hole PO hacked up the dash. ::
So...now what? I'm not going to start that train wreck of a project just yet. This thing's been on blocks too long already, I need to enjoy it for a while. Some other time maybe. Do they still make decks with knobs? The custom auto sound stuff is useless to me because of the extra holes the moron drilled! ::

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Brian,
Scott Drake still has a 64-66 "weld in" plate for just that "bad news" you have. It isn't "easy" to cut/install, but it sure has helped out a lot of people with that situation.

As for radio's with knobs....yes, I have also seen those in my scott drake book (I think they are made by Kenwood and "custom autosound"). You could also check with Radio shack and some of the big stereo shops.

Congrats on getting that baby ready to shoot.....I know what a process it has been ::

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dean!

I was planning on going the Custom Auto sound root. But, since the guy drilled extra holes...I'm sorts up the creek.

Do you know if '67 or '68s hole locations are different...as in centered vertically like an old 80s style cassette deck...if so I might be able to fake something that will work.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Well, I have a couple of 67's at home, as well as a couple of 64-6's.....I'll check tomorrow to see if the radio holes are the same (I can't believe that Ive never checked that before ::). I'll PM you with the results.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Congrats Brian, glad to hear you're ready to shoot some color on that thing ::

I spent most of Saturday installing a front torque box in the passenger side then began masking, and cleaning, and DA sanding, and cleaning etc. hoping to get the first coat of DP on the car, but ran out of steam and time yesterday ::

Now I get to re-clean AGAIN :: before I shoot. Hope to shoot fenders and doors tonight but may have to put it off due to the heat ::

Sorry about the radio. I suppose you could just finish the PO's hack job and install a DIN unit and call it good. Otherwise, if you're like me, and just cant live without the stock look, you'll have to do as I did and cut/weld in a replacement panel. Like Dean said, "It's not easy", but it's the only way to bring it back.

Ken

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ken...looks like my birthday will be spent in the paint booth this year! ::
At this point...the best present a guy could get! ::

The dash will have to wait a bit...I need to finish what I started and take a break to enjoy the car. Worse come to worse...I just keep running the old kenwood tape deck. ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts