Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a pic of the 302 painted and ready for installation. I still need to mount a few extraneous goodies on, but its basically done now. Yesterday I cleaned up the heads and mounted them. Did the same thing with the intake and valve covers. Then cleaned the engine with drill mounted wire wheels and painted it. It took one can of etching primer, and two cans of ford early blue to get the finish you see here. Eventually the valve covers will be swapped for cobra ones.

Today its start on the tranny and clutch day. I have the clutch kit, and the flywheel has been turned. I'll repaint the little 3 spd tranny to match the engine. I accidently painted it GM engine blue! :eek:

Hopefully I'll have everything hanging from the cherry picker and I can post a complete engine/tranny pic.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Looks great! :) You really DID have a productive day....aside from all the extra running around :p.
Remember to clean the flywheel and pressure plate with brake cleaner or alcohol before bolting together. Finger prints and grease are a no-no :eek:. Also coat the flywheel-to-crank bolts with form-a-gasket (or some other type) to help prevent any oil leakage onto the clutch/fly/pressure.
You probably already knew all this. I'll shut up now ::

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well, he may have known it, but I'm getting ready to install my first manual... so I will say a hearty 'Thank You' for reminding me!

Doug

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Dan, do you have the brackets and have you tried them out yet for your alternator (and PS if you going to run PS)? I'll like to have a pic of the setup once your done. I think I have all the bracketry now for the '70/later style water pump, but haven't tried to set it all up yet to insure it all works.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I didn't know. Thanx for the tips! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts