Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son and I have been working on the restoration of my '66 coupe since July. Here are a few pictures taken along the way. Should anyone want to see anything specifically, we've got a lot of pix.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone that has seen the car has seemed to like the stripe continuing down the firewall (except maybe TheDude). Once the engine is in, it will tone down the firewall stripe quite a bit. I will post pix of the engine bay once the engine is back in.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Looks outstanding! Post more pics!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For Mako. I took out the B4 pictures and replaced with more of the paint scheme. Note paint scheme continues on underside of hood, decklid, radiator support, etc.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I love the continuous stripe. Interesting that you decided to do away with the cowl vents.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Very Nice! I like it all! I need to find someone in my area that can do that good at a reasonable cost :) When it comes to prep & paint I'm like a 3 year old with finger paints :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jtfx6552 - Still learning my way around the site. I really don't know how to post more than what looks like a 10 pix limit. If you can tell me how or give me your e-mail address, I'll post/send whatever you might like to see.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
crzyamerican - Good luck finding someone to do what we did for a reasonable price, it was alllllloooottt of work. I can't see anyone putting in the hours that my son (& I) put in at any kind of low cost. I haven't added up the actual total, but off the top of my head, I would say I have somewhere around $3K in materials alone. Figure in the labor hours (which I wish we had tracked) and it just doesn't come cheap. Now that that part is over, I'm so glad we went through all the multitude of steps that we went through because the finish is unbelievably flat and gleeming. The pix do not do the finish justice. Everyone that's come over to see the car cannot believe it was painted in a garage with so little dirt and boogers in the paint.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lunarweasel - We were after a clean smooth look. The cowl is one of several areas that were modified in an attempt to accomplish this. The seams where the qtr panel, backlight, and decklid meet were welded up and eliminated. The seams at the rear valance to qtr panel were narrowed to about 1/8th inch. We were going to weld them up totally, but decided that if the valance was ever damaged, if it was removable, it would be a much easier repair. And . . . of course the unused engine bay holes were welded up, the sheet metal ripples were eliminated, and the radiator support wrinkles were smoothed and the support was boxed in for appearance and strength. By the way, thanks to everyone who has commented.

·
Registered
288 Posts
crzyamerican - Good luck finding someone to do what we did for a reasonable price, it was alllllloooottt of work. I can't see anyone putting in the hours that my son (& I) put in at any kind of low cost. I haven't added up the actual total, but off the top of my head, I would say I have somewhere around $3K in materials alone. Figure in the labor hours (which I wish we had tracked) and it just doesn't come cheap. Now that that part is over, I'm so glad we went through all the multitude of steps that we went through because the finish is unbelievably flat and gleeming. The pix do not do the finish justice. Everyone that's come over to see the car cannot believe it was painted in a garage with so little dirt and boogers in the paint.
You and your sons work really shows! It looks great!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would like to see some detail of what you welded up at the rear of the car? Are you talking about the quarter extensions?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts