Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a progress report for last evening:

- Installed steering column seal (flat rubber seal that column goes through) at firewall
- Installed firewall pad (Re-pop brand - good quality, but not concour - I don't care about that. Lithium grease on plastic retainers prior to 'hammering' them in place *G*)
- Assembled clutch pedal, brake pedal, clutch spring and stop on pedal support (lots of lithium grease on those moving parts as well)
- Installed pedal support and pedals
- Installed steering column with new steering box seal (a little lithium grease on the top of the steering box made it slide right into place)
- Installed Grant Stainless / wood grain steering wheel with Mustang horn button

I must comment that the Re-pop firewall pad (bought it at NPD) was of excellent quality. I had to cut out several optional holes and add one more for the wiring for the additional wiring (stereo amplifier power, fuel pump and power antenna).

Also, upon inspecting the Grant steering wheel horn adapter, I notice that the quality of the horn ring was poor (The part that is between the horn spring contacts and the steering wheel). There was glue on the copper plating that the horn spring contacts ride on, as well as solder blobs where the horn leads were soldered. I removed the glue and re-worked the installation of the horn leads with the trusty soldering iron. Unfortunately, the horn lead to wheel adapter/horn plate is not the best interface. IIWK (If I were King - hey a new one!), I would have made a better interface to the horn leads.

Anyhow, I got all of the parts together and verified that the horn spring contacts ride smoothly on the adapter, and that the horn works properly used a multi-meter at the harness connector). It is starting to look like a car again! I am going to borrow a digital camera this evening and post some pictures tomorrow.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Steve, can't wait to see how it all comes out. Did you say that the new exterior colors were black and red?

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code, coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Thumbnail?u=1571656&a=11943851&p=42935059&Width=100&Height=100&Sequence=2.jpg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by ShanMan on 03/13/01 10:31 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Amazing how a little spring gives us so much energy....love that sun!...*G*

Thanks for the update and the info on the horn stuff....I've had a non-operational horn in my D-coder since day one and really should figure that one out....lazy I guess....your post will give me a starting point, I think...*G*

If you run across any other good tips in your progress (not just on horns....)post them....

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shaun, color is Copper metallic (called Kinversand, from a 2000 Range Rover Discovery II) with Black Shelby stripes.

Pat, Go get that horn. Look closely at the steering wheel. My horn had started one day (I was away, and my neighbor had disconnected the horns under the hood) and it turned out to be the steering wheel. It is cracked, and one of the sliprings actually was canted so bad that it shorted out both horn contacts. That explains the Grant replacement.
Finally, it is quite sunny here today. Looks lke things are really warming up! And I will be posting on the progress and tips!

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Thanks Steve...

The PO had this awful Grant wheel on the car and neither the horn nor turn signals worked...luckily, they saved the stock wheel and gave it to me, which I then immediately re-installed...turns signals cancel great but no horns....I'll check the things you mentioned and do some diagnostics...

Never forget sitting behind my now wife at a stop light that had turned to flashing red because of a problem and she was just sitting there, not going through when her turn....I couldn't honk at her so finally had to get out of the car, walk up to hers and give her a motion to move on...I swear I didn't use a single finger prominently displayed...*G*...
Hey, I married her anyway...nobody's perfect! hehehe

Thanks again...

Pat

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Horn shorts, that is! I can't believe you wouldn't ask advice for such a simple problem...

Get to it! That's an order! *LOL*

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/flamicon.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
hey Ace, just tryin' to make you feel useful....*G*

Maybe I'm just lazy with a capital L....

Yeah, that's it....hehehe

Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts