Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have created a photo album of my current project. Some folks are going to hate me for cutting the roof off a rust free 64 1/2 coupe. Some are going to think I am nuts, but I hope at least some of you guys admire the talent and balls it take to go the extra mile to return a long discarded fastback to the road. This fastback sat in a junkyard for 10 years as told to me by the seller. It was stripped of everything but the pass door and glass. The car was not worth saving and the roof just barley is. It is damaged from the crash and rusty. Anyway here is the link, for now I just have the top sitting on the car. I will add more photos as we progress.

BTW: I am building this car to drive, and I plan on driving it into the ground, not to profit from the sale.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wingsanwhe...heels/my_photos

Lstar

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it's an interesting and unique project. After all, it will be a one-of-a-kind Mustang. Who ever heard of a 64 1/2 fastback?

Keep us posted, and take lots of pictures...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Looks like a great project, and good work on your part. You've got a loooong way to go. Good luck!

·
Registered
311 Posts
wow, in my view this is the most contreversial thing people are doing to stangs these days.
i've been way against it, but after thinking about it alot i've been softening to the idea. People do all kinds of amazing channelling and sectioning and other huge mods to other car types, and i usually love those, so why not the mustang right?
your right though, takes a lotta balls and talent. keep up the interesting work.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I'd do it too to a keeper!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
WOW, I think you are right it would take a LARGE pair to attempt this. I think I would have been nervous making the first few cuts on the solid coupe especially around the windshield posts and quarter panels. Good Luck with your project! I would have no problem of anyone doing this as long as it was for their own pleasure and use.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Was the 64.5 a 6 cyl car ?
If not , I would not chop the top .

I figure the 64.5 made it through life in good shape up to now , the fastback obviously did not . So , why hack the good coupe for a rotten FB .

I dunno , Im a little biased as I really like the 64.5's :)

Now , if the 64.5 was as rusty as mine , cut the dookie out of it ..... God knows I have .

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually the 64.5 is a loaded V8 car. 260, PS, AC, AT, and console. I must admit I did a little sole searching when I had the sawzaw in my hand. It was an easy choice to make for me because I have a 64.5 260 vert waiting that's in just as good of shape. Solid cars are not hard to find in this part of the country.

Lstar

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Actually the 64.5 is a loaded V8 car. 260, PS, AC, AT, and console. I must admit I did a little sole searching when I had the sawzaw in my hand. It was an easy choice to make for me because I have a 64.5 260 vert waiting that's in just as good of shape. Solid cars are not hard to find in this part of the country.

Lstar
Im starting to figure when I look for my next car , Im heading to Texas for a week long search session :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts