Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Project 65 Mustang Resto-Mod Ver 2.0

53251 1095
Hello All,

Some of you old timers may remember me. I initially built my 65 Mustang back in 2010/11. However, in 2015 I blew my motor. I had a thread here, but due to the photo bucket fiasco all the links to my pictures were broken. Here is the link in case you want to read some postings/comments.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/project-65-mustang-resto-mod.634977/#post-4168827

Anyway, the time has come for me to rebuild the car and do some things I could not afford to do before. Not to mention I did not have the time, skill or tools to do this either.

So, I'm starting this thread to share my experience with fellow vintage Mustang enthusiast.

The car's paint and interior is already completed. So, this time I want to focus on the engine bay and complete drive train. The plan is to install a Mustangs to Fear independent front suspension (IFS), remove the shock towers and install a 427 stroker motor, TKO 600 and Ford 9 inch rear end.

Here is a picture to show where the car originally started in 2010 and where I got it to in 2011.

I started working in the car again about a month ago. So, I will post pictures of my progress. I'm hoping to have this build completed this time next year.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my build. I look forward to your comments and suggestions during the build process.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
972 Posts
Definitely looking awesome!
I too can say back in the day I truly enjoyed painting cars. Still have all my guns and sanders but had to “write a check“ for my coupes paint. As with most, it’s just not something you can do without the proper place/zoning. The last car I painted was in my garage in CA back in the 90s. 3 or 4 days after while starting installs the county inspectors/EPA paid me a visit.. It wasn’t a pleasant one either.. Now I have a nice 900+ sq ft shop attached to the house but if I started sanding, mixing, let alone painting I guarantee I would be paid the same visit where I’m at now. One just wouldn’t get away with that in my city/neighborhood..😜 I do know I got on a few neighbors nerves when performing all the cutting, welding, grinding and banging during “numerous” months (OK, a year or two but who’s counting) of metal work/modifications.

Buts that’s behind me - all they have to deal with now and then is a FlowMaster 3 inch exhaust note….👍

Love your color!!

·
Registered
972 Posts
.If you painted in your garage and a few days later the EPA showed up that tells me your neighbors were A holes and reported you.
Guaranteed it was a neighbor or at least someone that drove in/lived in the neighborhood… 😜
No HOA back then. My guess it was just someone who knew I shouldn’t be doing it and felt strongly enough to have the authorities pay me a visit. Even my then roommate commented how bad the “red plume” was coming from my rigged up 48 inch exhaust fan. Crap, I even had red overspray on my own car I had parked down from the driveway….

Picky neighbors and my current HOA don’t bother me. We chose the area for a reason - Heck, I’ve had my picky moments myself etc. It’s all good. Even the older I get I still have my moments where a “guys gotta do what he has to do..” Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.😄

Cant wait to see your car out in the sun!

·
Registered
972 Posts
VERY nice work indeed!
Your stripes look great - I’m sure that was a challenge. Getting all the gaps on doors and fenders is hard enough let alone adding in the extra lines/stripes. Your initial setup prior to paint had to be perfect.
I totally like the G.T. 427 action. Ummmm, and the actual 427 - mmmm, mmmm good. Looks like I see some cool looking fender fasteners/hardware as well. Tell us about that in the near future.

I spent the day installing door hardware, regulators, channels and windows. I’m hoping to mount fenders before the weekend is over.

Well done “BG380R”.

·
Registered
972 Posts
You know that saying: “don’t quit your day job..”?

Well, I think you “could“ quit your day job and just paint cars for a decent living.. 😄👍
- Definitely coming out GREAT. I was torn with painting the tail black with my blue color. My shop guy talked me out of it but I do like the way yours looks. I was leaning towards a flat / matte black at the time. But that bit of shiny contrast on yours is awesome. Yours is even more at home given the black stripes as well. I don’t have any of that.

Im running out of words to describe your car/painting prowess….

👍👍

·
Registered
972 Posts
ReSo, I agree it's pretty cool to have a well know person in the automotive field have my number and address me by first name. My wife laughs at me and says I'm goofy, but hey it's a cool experience for me LOL.
Well tell your wife you’re not the only one. I’ve never been one to look up to most famous folks etc. Nor to folks that are in that same category however arrogant as “H” etc. But when it comes to truly talented and self-driven and successful folks who have made both fortune and fame on there own,,, they have my respect. And in Kindig‘s case, admiration for what he and his team creates etc.

You may have read a few posts about my search for a decent shop to paint my 65. Took me several years and at the time truly wished I could just do everything myself but I didn’t have the place/full capability. In 2018 I had finally honed in on a small shop, outside a small TX town about an hour from my house. It was my second visit there when I met the actual owner and he was walking me around during our “interrogation of each other”. He was asking me about “colors” and I was describing a blue I really liked but had no idea what it really was. I went on to mention how I saw it on an episode of B’n Rides where they painted a 63 Corvette spit window and it was a custom metallic blue of Dave’s…. The shop owner immediately replied: “Well,, let’s ask Dave..” He then jumped on his cell phone and called Dave’s cell.. I was like no wayyyy. He hung up and the first words out of my mouth were - when can you come get my car……?😁 10 months later my car went from the waiting list to “in-work”..

My wife often tells my story and equates it to the movie “Show Me The Money” with Tom Cruze where Renee Zellweger states: “You had me at hello”. My wife jokes that, he had my husband at: “let’s call Dave”.

Everything you mentioned will be great. The actual product, the fact it will be signed, not to mention the trip and visit with Dave’s team and what I’m sure will be a shop tour! I would say giddiness approved!! Of course we will want a full report upon your return.. 😁

·
Registered
972 Posts
I definitely don’t have any personal experience but yes, Dave definitely sounds like all of his success and fame has not completely gone to his head. 😀 A “little“ arrogance is to be expected - when you're good you’re good and you tend to know it.. But no reason to forget where you came from etc. Regardless, the shop owner I mention stated much like what you just did. It wasnt like he and Dave were long time buds or anything like that. He mentioned they had met and were around each other during a Power Tour or two and then I know he/shop front had a small part in a Gas Monkey episode or something where they worked on or sold a GTO. I know back in the day all those SPEED and now MT guys hung out with each other from time to time.
But like you mentioned he stated that even though not remotely on the same level, Dave had no issue taking a call or text from his counterparts. I know I was just impressedI he had his phone number. 😀 But I wouldn't post any info without asking first.

I need to finish my headliner install this weekend. Managed to get my new windshield this week - however, have two parts shipments out there somewhere stuck in this TX ice storm. Should of been delivered yesterday/today but delayed understandably. Melting now so hopefully they arrive intact tomorrow or early next week.

Hope you continue to have progress this weekend!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Copy that, I’m looking forward to seeing it wearing its shoes on those new rims!

I was also going to mention that you best not inadvertently let your address/location out…. You would end up opening your garage door one morning only to find numbers VMFers in your driveway wanting to get on your paint job waiting list! 😜
And, if ever out in the DFW area “do not” let me know! It’s for your own good man…. Id be pestering you to come over, talk shop and assist in cut-n-buffing the remainder of my car..

Stay warm

·
Registered
972 Posts
I’m all about either accents and/or contrasting colors. I think the black hood is nice but a tad bit too much black etc. I do like the idea of body color and the black hood pins. I like stripes but can admit so many 1st gens go the stripe route my gut thinks something different is needed. I would experiment with a two-tone on the hood. Red on the sides but the cowl either all or partial black etc. I think even that would tie in nicely with your other black areas/accents.
Thought I would also add that I’m not apposed to cowl hoods but Im not a fan of tall ones. Once you get your intake/filter sorted maybe you could remove about half of the cowls height. I actually have the Maier hood shown above. I do like it but at times feel it’s to tall. I did like it better than the short version though…:p

PS - recommend you install your hood shocks. You may find it will throw your rear hood/gap adjustment off by as much as 3/8 inch. However, once adjusted with shocks, if you remove the shocks don’t shut the hood without caution - the rear will drop and will make contact etc. Put your shocks on now and just ensure you have enough adjustment in/with your little turnbuckles to bring the hood rear up or down, to match the cowl. If you don’t, you will need to tilt the entire hinge accordingly etc. Once you perfect it with shocks you should not have to change the main hinge position on the body, just use the turnbuckles.

Awesome looking, clean PS pump/reservoir..

·
Registered
972 Posts
Thank you Huntingky! I gave it a little more thought and think those are a little too modern for me. Besides, they look like they may be a chore to install LOL.
True,,, good call.
ive seen them on a 1st Gen but given there length they would have to be positioned where the curve of the hood is minimal.
I initially was going to keep my hood pin locks black but painted them body color. I went with the smaller “Quick-Latch” push button style.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Wow, yep - that looks like a fun one..
I would have to agree on your hinges.. they look great and I’m totally impressed with all the adjustments - the cams to position left and right I have not seen before. What is the black, what appears to be an allen-head adjustable stud on the top off the hinge base do? Is that just a hood stop or some other well thought out base adjustment? Too cool.
I too had to add the addition “accessory” plate/spacer available for mine as well. I actually just superglued them to the base then used 220/320/400 etc grit wet-n-dry to make them perfectly match the base profile. Then polished a bit.

Your hood,, my apologies for saying but do you like mixing fiberglass and laying matt?……. In order to get it like we all know you will want it, it very well may require a little buildup / thickness etc. (I despise doing fiberglass work.. My hand started shaking just typing those thoughts.)

When I first decided to get a Maier hood, the underside of the one I liked looked just like yours.. Jump forward about a year when I placed the order my new Maier hood was one of his first in that style to have both a finished top and underside. I did have numerous fitment issues however will say the underside finish was really good right out of the box. I would of had to do exactly what you are otherwise.
But when you’re/it’s done, just think of how all of that beauty/beast you’ve created under that hood will reflect off the bottom. 👍👍👍

Why am I itchy….?
😄

Edit, just thought of something.. What about painting the hood underside red/body color? That might look really nice and blend everything under the hood together when up etc.. just a thought.

Definitely like watching / reading about the progress!

·
Registered
972 Posts
First off, looking awesome as usual. Paint lifting like that is a downer. Back in the day we would throw a thin layer of sealer just prior to initial color. Many times it wasn’t even a complete coat but a focus on those areas where you sanded through primer and there were feathered edges etc.
I definitely like your radiator cover /upper shroud. I wish I could find a local fabricator that was truly into old school hands on metal forming like that. My body shop will do minimal “forming” of existing stuff but no real talent in regards to rolling, stretching, English wheel stuff were metal would be desired over fiberglass etc. I know I would like a custom front metal splitter/spoiler and a custom, “tasteful” rear trunk lid spoiler. But I’m still looking for “that guy or gal”.

And no, I cant let your hinges go… 😄 Even today while working with my hood up, I found myself sitting there thinking how mine were good but feel who ever made yours took mine and corrected all their faults and/or shortcomings. 👍

I did a bit of cut-n-buffing today as well. I had painted the typical silver center on my grille moldings black (I’m a master with a SEM rattle can!). Scuffed and buffed them to a shine.

Rock on my fellow Texan!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Very nice. I say your body man knows you well and figured he best leave a little something so you, in the end, could say you did it yourself👍😄. But then again, hopefully the cost represented less than perfection. Regardless, as you are doing, move forward and onward!

Hood, I like your pinstripe idea. My humble opinion is 1/2 inch stripes matching your existing is too big. A designer (not car related) once told me if you can’t match an idea/theme it’s best to go far enough from it to ensure its evident you wanted it different. I would play around with a red/black 1/8 inch stripes. Even a 1/8 inch red then 1/16 black (or vice versa). I’m fully down with a stripe but would want it subtle.

Even no strip - just a crisp black red line at the appropriate area of the arch / where the cowl begins.

Tough decision for sure..

·
Registered
972 Posts
That design looks great!
Make sure you get your wife’s sewing measuring tape back to her.. 😜 Just kidding but when I saw that I had flashbacks of my wife yelling at me the last time I didn’t put hers back where I found it..

Looking forward to tomorrow nights updates/pictures.

Good luck with the clear!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Why is it that I think you have like 30 cans of spray paint in your shop that you no longer have any idea what color they are…? Other than red…. 😜

OK, on the serious side it’s looking down right farging awesome..!!

Forgive me for throwing this out there, but what’s your thought about doing the black red black pattern neatly around the cowl air vents? Just around/including the vents not all the way to the window molding? I know, I know.. I tend to have an issue leaving good enough alone (perfect enough in your case)..

Awesome work 380R! Did I mention your engine is beautiful - Your valve covers draw me in like no other…. That could be because I can’t look at the intake - It’s just as disgustingly awesome and makes me want one like it.. It reminds me of my previous neighbors- young adult boys (men). All three played HS football. Two also did professional modeling.. They would all tend to do yard-work in jeans/shorts and no shirt. I would catch my wife taking a glimpse or two, four, OK six or so times…. I just wanted to yell out - for the love of God could you guys put some clothes on!!
Thats how I (and my wallet) feel about your engine - ”Geez man!! Close that hood!”

😆

·
Registered
972 Posts
That’s awesome!
I noticed the lack of door handles and trunk lock awhile back but I never realized the lack of drip rails! I’m so disappointed in myself..😭 But then again I was probably too busy lookiNG aT tHE STACKS!!!! 😄

Hey, I talked to Dave Kindigit last week too! Just kidding but I did order an E-Stop parking brake actuator from him.. They actually beat the next lowest price by $50 and saved me near $50 in TX tax. 👍

I may pester ya via message on what sand paper and compound system you use for polishing. It’s been 30 years since I’ve done that from start to finish but given the wait and cost for my shop to get me back in, I’m psyching myself up to dive back in…

1 - 20 of 47 Posts