Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Project 65 Mustang Resto-Mod Ver 2.0

53251 1095
Hello All,

Some of you old timers may remember me. I initially built my 65 Mustang back in 2010/11. However, in 2015 I blew my motor. I had a thread here, but due to the photo bucket fiasco all the links to my pictures were broken. Here is the link in case you want to read some postings/comments.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/project-65-mustang-resto-mod.634977/#post-4168827

Anyway, the time has come for me to rebuild the car and do some things I could not afford to do before. Not to mention I did not have the time, skill or tools to do this either.

So, I'm starting this thread to share my experience with fellow vintage Mustang enthusiast.

The car's paint and interior is already completed. So, this time I want to focus on the engine bay and complete drive train. The plan is to install a Mustangs to Fear independent front suspension (IFS), remove the shock towers and install a 427 stroker motor, TKO 600 and Ford 9 inch rear end.

Here is a picture to show where the car originally started in 2010 and where I got it to in 2011.

I started working in the car again about a month ago. So, I will post pictures of my progress. I'm hoping to have this build completed this time next year.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my build. I look forward to your comments and suggestions during the build process.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Agitator
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
7,020 Posts
After I let the car dry for a few hours I went back in the garage and took some glamour shots LMAO!!!

Basically I moved my lights around the car to get a good reflection of the gloss.

I must say I am VERY happy and proud of the way I painted this car. It's no professional job, but for being in my garage I couldn't be happier or prouder of my accomplishment. I'm also glad I was able to overcome the issues that were presented to me during this process.

I can tell you this is NOT easy. My arm was sore from holding the spray gun and my back was sore from bending over the car LMAO.....

Thanks to all of you who have been following my build and supporting me. Greatly appreciated my friends.

Now it is time to cut and buff and then reassemble. Once that's done I'll get the car tuned and I should be on my way down the road.... SWEET!!!!

Man, look at that shine. Can't wait to cut and buff it!!!
View attachment 818771

View attachment 818772

Look at how good my repair area came out.
View attachment 818773

VERY happy with my stripes.
View attachment 818774

I can't get over that shine. I think I will eat my turkey in the garage this year. ROFLMAO!!!!
View attachment 818775

You can see the orange peel, but my engine bay and fenders looked like this too before I cut and buffed them.
View attachment 818776

View attachment 818777

Even the rear valance came out great. I love it!!!!! Too happy today LMAO!!!
View attachment 818779
Kudos, that’s a lot of work.

Reactions: Black Gold 380R

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
Thank you Russstang! Yeah, I didn't expect it to be that difficult, but when the paint has a chemical reaction and you don't help yourself by spraying runs it tends to be more work than expected lol.
No, I mean that’s a lot of work BEFORE you even got to the issue with the paint. You’re working like a man possessed on this thing and it is looking good. I’d feel bad by comparison but my skin is way too thick for that. All I can say is well done and how much Red Bull do you go through?

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
My dad bought a 69 fastback when I was around 14-15. Parents were divorced and he moved around the country for work a lot so only spent summers with him. When I was there, each morning he would give me a task to do on the car. At first I’d ask him how. He would usually just say “figure it out.” That’s how I learned to do what I know with working on cars. I’m no master tech but I can usually figure out how to fix or repair something if I am able to figure out what’s wrong. I have never been in financial position to do it. He ended up selling it cuz he needed the money. Buying the 69 fastback I just bought was probably pretty stupid financially but it was on opportunity I couldn’t pass up. I have been very slowly restoring a car that my grandfather owned for over 20 years but I did not do the body/paint. Hopefully will finally have it put back together in the next year or two before I lose my dad. I really want to completely do one like you are some day though.
I’m 63 and still working on my 3rd 65. It’s never too late.

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
I’ll bring you my Kubota tractor to buff on when you finish. You’re going to be like Daniel-san doing “wax on, wax off” in your sleep once this is all said and done.

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
Paint it.

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
Sorry, paint it red. I’m not a fan of cowl hoods on Mustangs. Same for a blacked out hood on a 65/66. I think red is the way to go.

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Thank you Russ. I orginally wanted a standard hood with the Shelby scoop. However, with my last set up I didn't have enough hood clearance with my carb spacer and 3 inch air filter and had to go with the cowl hood.

Now, with the stack injection and air filter system Kindig is building for me I have to have a cowl hood as well.

So, the cowl wasn't my first choice, but at this point it's the only one that works for me.

Of note, so far, everyone on both sites say paint it Laser Red.
I understand you need the space and cowl hoods do solve that problem. I wish there was a Ford solution. Thunderbolt scoops or some kind of 67/68 Shelby scoop would be the only decent options I guess. Did you see the Maier scoop?

I know you are far down this path already, not trying to sway you in the least. Just rambling on like I usually do…

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
I could get behind a red hood with black cowl. Seems that would match up with stripes and tail panel. Maybe a single pinstripe on either side of the cowl, sort of mimic the side stripes?

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
Since I’m spending your time and money, you might could “minimize” the cowl look if you paint the hood red and up the sides of the cowl, leaving just the top black. Of course then it might look good if you ran that black stripe over the roof and trunk. Throw a pinstripe on either side of all that. Sort of a European racing stripe vibe.

possibilities are endless….

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
I concur, sometimes simpler is better. Mustangs don’t need too much extra to shine.

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
I might know what your issue is. You get pretty excited about painting, it might be drool. Wear a terry cloth mask next time….

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
Black cowl, red hood. Stripes I would maybe match the side stripe size and spacing. I think it will look good this way.

·
Agitator
7,020 Posts
Thank you Russ! When I was working on the hood today I took a closer look and felt 1/2 inch would be too wide since the cowl is so big and only leaves a limited amount of space for the pin stripes.
True, I went back and looked again. I think 1/4 red between cowl and a 1/4 stripe would be much better.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts