Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Project 65 Mustang Resto-Mod Ver 2.0

53259 1095
Hello All,

Some of you old timers may remember me. I initially built my 65 Mustang back in 2010/11. However, in 2015 I blew my motor. I had a thread here, but due to the photo bucket fiasco all the links to my pictures were broken. Here is the link in case you want to read some postings/comments.

https://www.vintage-mustang.com/threads/project-65-mustang-resto-mod.634977/#post-4168827

Anyway, the time has come for me to rebuild the car and do some things I could not afford to do before. Not to mention I did not have the time, skill or tools to do this either.

So, I'm starting this thread to share my experience with fellow vintage Mustang enthusiast.

The car's paint and interior is already completed. So, this time I want to focus on the engine bay and complete drive train. The plan is to install a Mustangs to Fear independent front suspension (IFS), remove the shock towers and install a 427 stroker motor, TKO 600 and Ford 9 inch rear end.

Here is a picture to show where the car originally started in 2010 and where I got it to in 2011.

I started working in the car again about a month ago. So, I will post pictures of my progress. I'm hoping to have this build completed this time next year.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my build. I look forward to your comments and suggestions during the build process.
1021 - 1040 of 1096 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Cp. Ford Laser Red. 351W stroked to a 427, Borla 8 stack injection system, VERY Custom.
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,021 · (Edited)
Then on Sunday I took the car to my tuners shop in order to make sure my air/fuel ratios where operating within an acceptable range.

When I first got there he looked at my data and made some adjustments. I took it for a drive. I immediately felt a difference. I dropped the hammer in first and when I hit second it broke loose. Man, this car is running strong.

When I got back to his shop he made a couple more minor adjustments and I took it for another drive. He said everything looked good and the car is operating optimally.

Since I had to drive the car and my tuner doesn't have a dyno at his shop I didn't take any videos. Here are some pictures from the day.

Getting ready to load the car up and head over to my tuners shop. I really didn't want to drive it all the way to his shop. So, I trailered it.
Cloud Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Here it is in front of my tuners shop.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

This guy works with my tuner. He has a 3D scanner app on his phone. So, he was scanning my car so he could load the image on his computer and mess around with it. Maybe he can fix my rear bumper virtually LMAO!!!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Window

I went inside my tuners shop and took some pictures.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

This is my tuners Chevy II. It has a big block in it.
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Hood

Small block Ford on the engine stand. My tuner is a tech for Fi-Tech. So, he uses this to test their products.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

This thing looks pretty cool.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Boo, Hiss LMAO!!! Small block Chevy...... :mad:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car Tire

Cool graphic. I couldn't tell if it was airbrushed, hand painted or a decal.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Cp. Ford Laser Red. 351W stroked to a 427, Borla 8 stack injection system, VERY Custom.
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,022 ·
Hello Everyone,

As some of you know I'm going to be featured on the YouTube channel "AutotopiaLA" and I wanted to present the owner (Shawn Davis) with one of my creations.

Before I started my 65 Build I used to customize 1/18 scale 2003/04 Terminator diecast Cobra's for the guys on the SVT website.

One of my things is when I visit with someone in the automotive customization industry I build them a unique diecast. I did this for Dave Kindig and Joe Martin of Iron Resurrection.

Since I'm going to be featured on AutotopiaLA I wanted to create one for Shawn.

The idea was to take Shawn's business logos and create something unique. Also, to create something I know he will not have and something he will be proud to display in his office. Hopefully it will also be a conversational piece.

Since Autotopia's colors are black and orange I took a Competition Orange Terminator diecast and created some decals and made something for Shawn. Besides the decals I painted the rear COBRA bumper letters flat black to make it stand out a little more.

I did not put my name on this one, but if he ever forgets my name he can just watch the introduction piece of my video that he will be making when he features my 65 LOL.

What do you guys think? Think he will like it???
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Toy

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Car

Vehicle Hood Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive side marker light

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Grille

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Grille

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,024 ·
Rear bumper is crooked on one side…..IT’S A JOKE! He’ll like it, who wouldn’t?
Lmao!! You're always good for a laugh Russ. Thank you! I think he will like it too, but I'm biased since I built it lol.

Appreciate the feedback brother!

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,026 ·
That is cool Glen, it looks good. It would be pretty cool if in a future video you caught a glimpse of it on display.
Thank you Grabber!!! It's funny you mention that. I have seen my creations on episodes of Bitchin Rides and Iron Resurrection. So, it would be cool to see it in Shawn's office in future videos he makes. Hopefully he will think it's worthy of display.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,027 ·
Hello Everyone,

Need some opinions here. I have been thinking about how to present this gift to Shawn. Do I present it to him while we are shooting? Not sure how his reaction would be and, when it comes to the viewers, where is the line between handing him a thank you gift and looking like a kiss ass? LOL. I have no reason to brown nose as I'm already being featured, but you know how some people are and I can only imagine some of the YouTube comments if I give it to him in the video.

Then again others will realize it's nothing more than a thank you gesture for featuring me on his channel. So, I don't know if on camera or off would be better. Then again Shawn will make that determination because even if I hand it to him on camera he may have his staff edit that out LMAO!!!

So, who knows. I'll probably hand it to him on camera and let him decide if he wants to keep it in the video or have it laying on the editing room floor, so to speak LOL.

What do you guys think? On or off camera?????

·
Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
972 Posts
First off, very nice…
I too think up front/off camera would be appropriate - as BlueOval stated less awkward for both of you. Let his team decide if they want to shoot / include it.

PS - is my blue 65 coupe diecast in the mail yet? 😜

(Actually I think you could have a heck of a side business doing personalized renditions of member Mustangs)

Well done 380R

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,030 ·
I’d just ask him prior to shooting.

Less awkward I would think. And gives him the option to either keep it personal or make it part of the vid.

Just my $.02

Sent from the interwebs... where else?
First off, very nice…
I too think up front/off camera would be appropriate - as BlueOval stated less awkward for both of you. Let his team decide if they want to shoot / include it.

PS - is my blue 65 coupe diecast in the mail yet? 😜

(Actually I think you could have a heck of a side business doing personalized renditions of member Mustangs)

Well done 380R
Yeah, you guys may be right. I can just tell him, off camera, I have a gift to present and ask him if he wants it presented on or off camera and let him decide.

KJ,
I actually did this as a side project for a few years prior to me building my 65. I did it for the 2003/04 Terminator owners. It worked out very well. Guys were happy with their products and I had a hobby that earned me some additional income. I wasn't raking it in, but it was enough to pay for my annual trip to the Mustang show in CA. So, it was nice.

Here is the link to my Diecast thread if you're interested in looking at some of my creations. I think the special projects I did for Kindig and Iron Resurrection are shown in there as well. I did this for years so that thread is pretty lengthy. If you take a look you will see as I continued to do this I refined my techniques and procedures to increase the quality of these diecast cars. Hey, I was a rookie at one time LMAO!!!

BTW, I don't have your address, so your blue 65 is currently sitting in my collection LOL......

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,031 ·
Hello Everyone,

@Grabber70Mach mentioned wouldn't it be cool to see my AutotopiaLA diecast in a future episode.

Well, it has happened with the other car guys. I was watching the new episode of Iron Resurrection today (Season 6, EP 1). In a scene where Bama Brown walks in you can see they still have my diecast sitting on the ledge of the window between the office and workshop. Pretty cool they still have it on display......

Sleeve Handwriting Drink T-shirt Eyewear

Font Art Wall Line Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,032 ·
Okay Everyone,

I'm heading out tomorrow. I'll be stopping in Phoenix and spending the night at my step daughters house. Then I'll head out to LA on Wednesday morning.

So, I'm getting a lot of stuff taken care of today. I got the car cleaned up and re-polished the hood as it is a focal point when people look at the car. I cleaned the engine bay really well. I cleaned my tires (they still had the soap residue from when the tires were mounted) and I polished my wheels (they had some water spots from cleaning the tires). I'll load the car up tomorrow and head out in the afternoon.

I made a list of everything I will need and will pack my truck and trailer tomorrow as well.

So, now it is finally time to start using some of the Christmas present I have received over the years LOL.

The red bag is a detailing bag. So, I packed it with my detail spray, tire shine, microfiber towels, interior spray, glass cleaner and anything else I could think of.
Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive lighting Automotive design

The blue bin is actually a tool box. So, I loaded it with a bunch of basic hand tools just in case. I don't think I will need any tools, but always good to have some tools when traveling across several states.
Sports gear Hood Luggage and bags Helmet Bag

Rest assured that all this stuff will be placed in my truck or trailer when I'm filming with Shawn (Don't want stuff flying around when I drop the hammer LOL). However, this is how my trunk will be set up when I travel from my buddies residence to the big Mustang show. I will not have the trunk on display at the show, but I'll have this stuff plus my chairs and drink cooler in here as well.

Besides loading up I think I'm all set. SWEET!!!

If any of you guys make it out be sure to look me up.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,033 ·
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that I made it to LA.

The trip was not as bad as I was expecting. I came in on I-210 (Northern LA) and traffic was heavy, but not horrible.

Shawn meet me at his facility and got my car and trailer situated. Let me tell you, Shawn is a very cool dude. Very laid back and took the time to interact with me and my family. He needed to leave early, but never made me feel rushed.

Sooooo, looking forward to tomorrow's shoot!

BTW, the debate has been settled. Shawn said he wants me to present my gift on camera. Can't wait to see his expression!

I'm on my phone and don't like the way it uploads pictures. So, pictures will have to wait until after my vacation lol. Sorry guys!

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,036 ·
I’m sure you are going to sleep like a baby tonight…. Not! 😜

Enjoy the experience. Be professional and safe 👍
Lol. You know it KJ. My mind is going a mile a minute. I'm wondering what kind of questions he's going to ask. What route we are going to take etc. I told my wife I need to practice my pronunciation and standing up straight lmao. Don't want to look like a dumbass on camera lol.

Oh well, I just need to relax and enjoy it. And be professional and safe as you mentioned. It will be a blast. So, nothing to worry about. Yeah right. Lmao...

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,037 ·
Cool glad to hear that the trip went smoothly. Enjoy your time in the limelight, looking forward to seeing the video.
Thank you Grabber! Yeah, I've been looking forward to this day for a while and tomorrow will fly by lol.

That's one thing I need to ask him.... when will the video be posted. It will probably take a couple of weeks. Shawn said his video editor will take pictures from my YouTube videos or from my build thread to show some before pictures to go along with the story/video. So, it may take some time to compile everything. But, I'm sure it's going to be cool.....

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
1,557 Posts
Lol. You know it KJ. My mind is going a mile a minute. I'm wondering what kind of questions he's going to ask. What route we are going to take etc. I told my wife I need to practice my pronunciation and standing up straight lmao. Don't want to look like a dumbass on camera lol.

Oh well, I just need to relax and enjoy it. And be professional and safe as you mentioned. It will be a blast. So, nothing to worry about. Yeah right. Lmao...
It will be a blast! You love your car right? The show is car based, your car is stunning so it will surely steal the focus. If not, well, that's what editing is for! :cool: Congratulations again. Have fun, be you, no worries. It'll be awesome. And just think, you don't have to hand out car cards to anyone interested anymore, you can just give them a link to the show! (Keep the cards, It's a really neat idea. But add the link to them once it's up) (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,040 ·
It will be a blast! You love your car right? The show is car based, your car is stunning so it will surely steal the focus. If not, well, that's what editing is for! :cool: Congratulations again. Have fun, be you, no worries. It'll be awesome. And just think, you don't have to hand out car cards to anyone interested anymore, you can just give them a link to the show! (Keep the cards, It's a really neat idea. But add the link to them once it's up) (y)(y)
I understand Midnight. I'm looking forward to it and will roll with it and follow Shawn's lead. The talking part is what makes me nervous. The driving part I have covered lmao!

Yeah, editing will work wonders lol. Thanks for your kind words brother. Even though I'm nervous I'm more stoked lol.

1021 - 1040 of 1096 Posts