Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I tried to use the original 66 crossmember and the 95 crossmember to make one for my setup.

That did not turn out so well so today I started from scratch and made a much nicer part.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Always so much easier to start from scratch and make your own. My trans bracket is currently just a piece of angle iron tacked to my SFCs with a drop pocket for the mount....but that simply isnt going to work because of exhaust clearance issues(longtube headers do that), so I get to re-make it pretty soon. Unfortunately the trans mount holes for the MT82 end up probably 2 inches further back than yours so I am not entirely sure I want to use the tunnel support to hang it from( I imagine it putting too much twist on the through-bolts mounted that far back)

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Always so much easier to start from scratch and make your own. My trans bracket is currently just a piece of angle iron tacked to my SFCs with a drop pocket for the mount....but that simply isnt going to work because of exhaust clearance issues(longtube headers do that), so I get to re-make it pretty soon. Unfortunately the trans mount holes for the MT82 end up probably 2 inches further back than yours so I am not entirely sure I want to use the tunnel support to hang it from( I imagine it putting too much twist on the through-bolts mounted that far back)

I agree. I was just in the mood to try and get something going so I started cutting up what I had to see what it would look like and it looked so bad
i won't even take a picture of it. lol

I just needed to slow down and give it some thought. I'm very pleased with my crossmember.

I haven't had time to go back to my friends house and finishing milling out the two pieces of steel for my small vise. I'm trying to make a panel flange tool for the filler panels that came with the MII kit. They will fill in where the towers use to be.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I agree. I was just in the mood to try and get something going so I started cutting up what I had to see what it would look like and it looked so bad
i won't even take a picture of it. lol

I just needed to slow down and give it some thought. I'm very pleased with my crossmember.

I haven't had time to go back to my friends house and finishing milling out the two pieces of steel for my small vise. I'm trying to make a panel flange tool for the filler panels that came with the MII kit. They will fill in where the towers use to be.
When I installed the Heidts kit...it came with filler panels that I just seam-welded in(they were meant to be bolt-in, but I filled the holes). You could probably just pick up filler panels from anyone who sells MII kits for about $50 a set...no reason they need to be able to be unbolted...the UCAs can be installed and removed from the notch on the bottom of the filler panels

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
When I installed the Heidts kit...it came with filler panels that I just seam-welded in(they were meant to be bolt-in, but I filled the holes). You could probably just pick up filler panels from anyone who sells MII kits for about $50 a set...no reason they need to be able to be unbolted...the UCAs can be installed and removed from the notch on the bottom of the filler panels

I have filler panels from Rod & Custom. I just want to put a flange on the edge so the filler panel will sit flush with the inner fenders. I will weld them in and a little body work to give it a flat smooth look.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Removed the engine block and transmission today so I could finish welding in the motor mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Removed the engine block and transmission today so I could finish welding in the motor mounts.
I just looked through your build thread for the first time. When I noticed the motor mounts your crossmember came with I couldn't help but think they looked flimsy and could use some bracing. Then I was happy to see that you're making some new ones for your engine - AND they are definitely going to be nice and stout!

Keep up the good work, your build is looking amazing.

Also, I'm digging the upper control arm adjustment slots. You should be able to get all the camber and caster you could ever want out of those!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
The son and I got to work on the mustang again today. We started drilling the spot welds out to remove the cowl. We have most of it done. Hoping we can remove the cowl tomorrow.

I was going to perform the mods to the steering column but I’m missing the piece that connects the old shat to the D shaft. I will contact R&C tomorrow and order that piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I as Thursday off from work so me and the son made a little more progress on the mustang.

Got the old cowl removed and test fitted the new replace cowl. Also had my son welding up and few spots he made a mistake on.

My son god bless him tried to start the cowl removal without me. I didn’t mention this before but he drilled through all three layers and did not use the spot weld drill tool. I was proud he tried to surprise me and get work done without me. He surprised me and I loved it. I was more proud of him for trying something on his own no matter what the extra work may be.

We would work on the mustang some more this weekend but we have some interior house painting to do. We may be trying to sell our home and find something with more garage space.

Attachments

81 - 89 of 89 Posts