Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This swap is looking to be easier than a lot of people might think. So far I've ground off brackets and spring perches that the Explorer uses. New perches are on the way now. I'll get a T5 for the car in a few months, so will have to suffer with the leaky C4 (apparently two rebuilds isn't enough) for now. Does anyone remember which adapter is needed for the Explorer flange to the original driveshaft? Thanks!

Another interesting find- we have a 74 maverick parts car. It has a manual trans so I stole the clutch and brake pedals from it to prepare for my T5 swap- they are an exact fit for the 68. Cool huh?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Just picked up a complete 98 Explorer 8.8 last night and will be putting it in my 65 in due time.

Post some pics of how yours is going.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I should say, the 8.8 I have is from a 99 Explorer. By rough measurement, it's within 1/2" (wider, not shorter) of the stock 8".

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If you can find a pick-n-pull or similar, just go find an Explorer driveshaft with the correct yoke on it. It'll be much cheaper than paying full retail for a new one. The explorer driveshaft is a 3.5'' aluminum, and was the perfect length for me anyway.

Since you're going T5, you'll be cutting down a driveshaft anyway.

You'll need a 1310/1330 combo u-joint. If you stick with your driveshaft, it'll go between the yoke and driveshaft. If you use the explorer aluminum one, it'll go between the driveshaft and trans yoke.

Still no problems with my 8.8 swap. Works and looks great!

·
Registered
8,668 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Replacing the flange with a yoke has the advantage of making it smaller and less likely to hit the floor. It is a pain to tighten down with the crush sleeve though.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Are you guys going to shorten the long side tube to center the carrier? I know I've read a thread or two with mustgofasta saying he's running his as is with the carrier offset.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I'm running mine with the pinion offset. I made a small cutout in the floor pan since I'm using an 06 GT drive shaft that has a large CV joint instead of the flange. Other than that, no issues.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Are you guys going to shorten the long side tube to center the carrier? I know I've read a thread or two with mustgofasta saying he's running his as is with the carrier offset.
I am running mine offset. It hits the tunnel occasionally but only if I hit a really big bump- it's not too bad

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Nice work, keep us updated! Mine is at the same stage as yours, on jackstands in the garage. I plan on running mine offset and using a BFH to clearance the floorpan if necessary.

·
Registered
377 Posts
ozarks (and others) are you all running it in 65/66 cars?

If so, I thought it was 2 inches too wide and had to be narrowed? Are you compensating with the backspacing on the wheels?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I won't be cutting the long side. If it hits, it hits. Thanks for the links.

Musgofasta- I thought the explorer DS fit without any cutting? There aren't many junkyards around where I live so I'll get a DS from ehay.

I'm about to powder coat the differential cover in Ford Blue wrinkle, with black bolt heads. Should look cool with a black housing! :D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
It fit my car perfect without cutting, but I'm running a C4. It sounded like you were converting to a T5, either at the same time or soon at least, so your mileage may vary.

But for me, no cutting necessary...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
ozarks (and others) are you all running it in 65/66 cars?

If so, I thought it was 2 inches too wide and had to be narrowed? Are you compensating with the backspacing on the wheels?
I'm running late-model (99-04) wheels with 5.72" backspacing so it's perfect with 245/45-17 tires. I'm running 1" spacers (adapters) on the front (with 225/45 tires).

By the way, I cut down the brake dust shields for a cleaner look.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gotcha, thanks. Well, I'll just get the explorer DS now and not bother with the adapter flange, and cut it later once I get the T5.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm running late-model (99-04) wheels with 5.72" backspacing so it's perfect with 245/45-17 tires. I'm running 1" spacers (adapters) on the front (with 225/45 tires).

Ozarks - I just followed the link in your sig - the car is gorgeous, nice job!
I am pleased to see that I do not have to cut two inches off the axle - now I can save that for the driveshaft getting shortened....cuz it sounds like the combo of the T5 and the 8.8 will mean I need a shorter DS than the stock one or even a fox body T5, right?

Do you remember what angle you set the pinion at when you put the leaf spring perches on?

Thanks, and again, the car looks awesome!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Ozarks - I just followed the link in your sig - the car is gorgeous, nice job!

Do you remember what angle you set the pinion at when you put the leaf spring perches on?

Thanks, and again, the car looks awesome!
Thanks. I'm running 3 deg up on the rear and 3 deg down on the tranny. I have Maier Racing springs and they don't wind up much. It runs real smooth on the highway.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts