Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good day everyone new here, i have been searching around for a solid project car and came across this and would like your honest opinion.
The following is the info the seller given. Thanks in advance.I should add that I will be using a mod shop to do the work.

Perfect Fastback Project for sale ! Factory V8 Fastback! Clean Title !

This is not your average project!
With 67/68 Fastbacks climbing in value on almost a daily basis this is your chance to get into one of the most desirable classic American cars in the world right now!
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback Factory V8 car
Perfect starter project for a Eleanor, Bullitt or custom build !
Glass:All glass is present and in good condition.
Drivetrain: A 302 long block,C4 automatic included within the sale. The drivetrain will need a overhaul.
Body:Body is in excellent condition for a project,Very straight car ! Patches needed on the floor pans;RT lower door and RR lower quarter panel...Prep and paint !
Interior: interior is fairly complete with the important Fastback interior panels included.

Vin Cleary stamped on drivers side apron, door tags are all present and matching.
Clean title.

$19,999

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was optimistic until I read further and then looked at the pix. Endless project with no end in sight, unless you are retired with lotsa free cash.
Reality is that you will put thousands of $ into it, plus hundreds of hours, THEN, life will interfere, and you'll dump it just to get the eyesore gone... and because you found a better and running car.
Been there, done that at least a dozen times...and I even swore on Bibles that it would not happen!

Get as much car as you can afford, and running if possible.
I'll be the old beasterd who will be telling you "told you so".

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Baloo I appreciate your response. I should have added that I plan on doing a Restomod not restoration and would be using a mod shop for all the work as I live out of the country and can’t do it myself.

·
Super Moderator
9,583 Posts
Thanks Baloo I appreciate your response. I should have added that I plan on doing a Restomod not restoration and would be using a mod shop for all the work as I live out of the country and can’t do it myself.
Welcome to the board.

With a shop doing all of the work, what’s your budget?

What do you think the finished car will cost you?

·
Premium Member
3,773 Posts
I would love for every single car to be restored, so I hope your bank account is up for it and your shop is reputable as well as your having some way to monitor the progress on a regular basis. These projects aren't for the faint of heart or light in the wallet. I have to do all labor myself, but I enjoy it more, and it still takes a while.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
80 Posts
Better off to get a dynacorn shell and do your restromod. You'll be 20k ahead, everything on that car needs to be replaced so it's not adding much to your bottom line.

·
Registered
65 Mustang GT
113 Posts
Those pictures aren't the best to make a decision really. Frame rails, torque boxes, rocker panels, cowl, rear frame rails, are these seriously rotted or just surface rust? However, having experience with a cancerous 68 as my first car, I would be very surprised looking at those pictures if they weren't rotted through. Price is too high either way, I definitely would not buy it to restomod doing all the work myself.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
You had me right up to the point where you said you were going to have a shop do it...your worried about whether you pay 20 grand or 15 grand or 10 grand to get dealt into the wish of a dream car you have to pay a shop to ''do the work" Do you have any idea what this dream build would cost? I am guessing no, you don't....maybe you are rich and it doesn't matter Buy it, then go shop hunting and get back to us with their estimates to see if we approve. .It looks like a very solid candidate though!.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the board.

With a shop doing all of the work, what’s your budget?

What do you think the finished car will cost you?
Thanks Israel. I was figuring it would cost around 40g with 60or so being about the budget.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Better off to get a dynacorn shell and do your restromod. You'll be 20k ahead, everything on that car needs to be replaced so it's not adding much to your bottom line.

Thanks. I was looking at that option but was wandering what that would do to the value of the car? Ikinda feel having the body And as much original parts would add some soul to the car but maybe I’m wrong?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You had me right up to the point where you said you were going to have a shop do it...your worried about whether you pay 20 grand or 15 grand or 10 grand to get dealt into the wish of a dream car you have to pay a shop to ''do the work" Do you have any idea what this dream build would cost? I am guessing no, you don't....maybe you are rich and it doesn't matter Buy it, then go shop hunting and get back to us with their estimates to see if we approve. .It looks like a very solid candidate though!.
Thanks geicoman. I would love to work on the car myself but I currently live in Bermuda and getting the car shipped here isn’t worth it. I will admit I don’t know all the ins and outs and will probably be asking a bunch of questions on here as I go to find the best way to go about this. I am moving to canada in a few years and would like to get a car done before I get there. I have to sell my boat so this car is my trade off Or so I tell my wife. Ha!

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
132 Posts
The body looks straight - a positive - but you have some seriously corroded and missing parts. Plus, as others have mentioned, you likely have terminal rust in places you haven't seen yet. And then, on top of that, you are going to try to do all this in Bermuda? IMHO, your project will cost you well north of $100K, probably take you 5 years to complete, and you are guaranteed to be under water from an investment perspective. It is truly amazing how rapidly the bills pile up as you try to acquire all the little parts you need to complete the job. This is way too much project, and the selling price is way too high to begin with. Why not buy a really nice near-finished car for half the price?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The body looks straight - a positive - but you have some seriously corroded and missing parts. Plus, as others have mentioned, you likely have terminal rust in places you haven't seen yet. And then, on top of that, you are going to try to do all this in Bermuda? IMHO, your project will cost you well north of $100K, probably take you 5 years to complete, and you are guaranteed to be under water from an investment perspective. It is truly amazing how rapidly the bills pile up as you try to acquire all the little parts you need to complete the job. This is way too much project, and the selling price is way too high to begin with. Why not buy a really nice near-finished car for half the price?
Thanks for the response. At this point I am looking at all options. I have family in the Florida area who will keep a eye on the project. Maybe I will start a new thread to get opinions on which route is best to go? I restored a motorcycle a couple years ago so I definitely understand about costs that escalate and get out of hand.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The car looks like a great project to me but I'm a do-it-yourself-er.... I don't see a lot of rust but I bet you'll have to open the cowl up along with some front floorboard repair. I agree with the others that you'll sink a ton of money into this car if you have another shop do it. My advice is to just have the shop quote something small like repair the cowl and see how they do with it. Shops are used to insurance jobs or bolt-on mods that are formulaic. Giving a shop something like this requires real know how that very few shops have. Good luck, I look forward to seeing it completed.

david

·
Super Moderator
9,583 Posts
Thanks Israel. I was figuring it would cost around 40g with 60or so being about the budget.
Figure that amount if You do the labor.

Once you’re into the hobby, you’ll have a real appreciation for finished cars at shows.

·
Registered
337 Posts
...My advice is to just have the shop quote something small like repair the cowl and see how they do with it. Shops are used to insurance jobs or bolt-on mods that are formulaic. Giving a shop something like this requires real know how that very few shops have. ..
EXCELLENT POINT! If you give them an open ended order, it will drag on and on and on. They want to see quick money, and your project is endless.
Give them specific small and accomplishable jobs, and it is more likely that they will get to it.
Otherwise, they will see it as an impossible project, and will delay working on it -- it will get constantly relegated to the back of the line as easier projects come up, offering quicker money.

ALSO, don't get caught in the trap of giving them installments! With the above strategy of small, digestible projects, you will know EXACTLY what you are paying for.

One last piece of advice: these shops are NOT your friends -- and as a corollary to this, NEVER give the job to a friend. If you know what I mean, then there's no explaining -- and if I have to explain, then the only way you'll believe me is after you have experienced having a friend work on a project like this for you.

Like everyone else on this board, wish you best of luck. We all would like to see you have success!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts