Vintage Mustang Forums banner

181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Thanks, I am hoping to have it driving by springtime, but so many little tasks keep popping up, not sure if I will make that target.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #184

Some details on the vanes...I bought these merge collector kits from Cone Engineering(great company to work with) but theoretically you could fab it all from scratch(not worth the effort though since each collector kit was only $55 or so, you would lose more time than that fabbing it all)

And there you have what is essentially the finished header(minus the O2 sensor bung and v-band flange and some cosmetic work). In the end though, this is still a prototype header I am trying out. If the end result pleases me, I will re-make it in stainless and TIG weld it all instead. I still have to finish the passenger side...but at least that side is easy to get in and out of the car(this one is a nightmare, but it can be done)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Did a little work on the ITB setup today:

I separated the 6 I am using out and corrected the port spacing simply by making a strip of 1/8" steel that bolts to the side of each TB 106mm apart....these bolt holes used to hold the BMW balance tubes for the air ports you can see here. I plan on tapping these ports for barbed fittings, and running a hose from each to a central distribution block using a SPICA valve to balance each ITB(none of that needle valve for each individual throttle body nonsense for me...obviously BMW has moved on from that as well with the stock setup being the balance tubes connected to a ISC valve...essentially working just like a SPICA valve...I am just passing on the computer control for the air valve by going SPICA)

A close up showing how close the Duratec 30 fuel rail brackets are to bolting up to the BMW ITBs....a little bit of bracket modification here and it will bolt up fine....cant do that till the adapter plates come in though.

And this picture shows essentially how the bell-crank setup will work...I do need some custom length linkages and I still need to install a cable stop into the bell-crank, and make the mounting bracket(which will simply be welded to the 1/8" steel spacing bracket I made) but those finishing touches also cant be done until I get the adapter plates in. Only a couple of the actuator arms are bolted down in the picture because I will have to re-drill the throttle shafts in 4 locations once everything is bolted down where it needs to be. It looks like I will end up losing one of the TPS sensors due to linkage arm interference...but I really only need one TPS anyway.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
I'm digging this mod.
You know, I can imagine ways to adapt them to a SBF as well(turn the TBs perpendicular to the alignment I have and then make an adapter plate that bolts directly to each head...the port transition wouldn't be all that difficult then). Of course, you would likely want a smaller TB...the only reason I can get away with a 50mm TB is because the 3.7L intake port on the head is almost identical in size and length to the BMW head(M3s have a head port that it if were round would be around 37mm, 37+50=87, 87/2=43.5 effective size if you assume the same port length pre and post throttle plate) I don't know the stock SBF port dimensions and length....but Twisted Wedge heads have a 2"x1.2" port ....which actually would accommodate a 50mm TB assuming you matched the BMW port length(would need to be built into an adapter plate). Of course turning them perpendicular would require a really strange fuel rail...but considering what stock carbed SBF manifolds are like, even with the odd injector angle it couldn't be worse for fuel distribution(not like it makes any difference above 2000RPM regardless)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
You know, I can imagine ways to adapt them to a SBF as well(turn the TBs perpendicular to the alignment I have and then make an adapter plate that bolts directly to each head...the port transition wouldn't be all that difficult then). Of course, you would likely want a smaller TB...the only reason I can get away with a 50mm TB is because the 3.7L intake port on the head is almost identical in size and length to the BMW head(M3s have a head port that it if were round would be around 37mm, 37+50=87, 87/2=43.5 effective size if you assume the same port length pre and post throttle plate) I don't know the stock SBF port dimensions and length....but Twisted Wedge heads have a 2"x1.2" port ....which actually would accommodate a 50mm TB assuming you matched the BMW port length(would need to be built into an adapter plate). Of course turning them perpendicular would require a really strange fuel rail...but considering what stock carbed SBF manifolds are like, even with the odd injector angle it couldn't be worse for fuel distribution(not like it makes any difference above 2000RPM regardless)
I enjoy fabricating my own stuff but I don't think I would have the patients or the knowledge to tackle that job. Now if I was still working as a cnc programmer maybe I would tackle that job but those days are long gone.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #189

These little beauties came in today...adjustable linkages for Weber carbs(needed linkages with an 8mm ball socket) these are still too long and will need to be cut down most likely....but they sure are a lot prettier than the stock BMW non-adjustable linkages. A little spendy for what I am doing maybe($25 a piece...$50 or so for both exceeds what I put into building the bell-crank), but at least I know I will never have issues out of these linkages

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Adapter plates are in! Merry Christmas to me I guess:

This is a top and bottom comparison shot...the bottom shot shows exactly how much hand porting I will have to do to transition from the BMW port shape to the Ford port shape....not very much.

I am actually very pleased with how close everything came out considering I made the drawing off of just digital caliper measurements. I have yet to bolt them up to the heads, but based on the test-fit to my spare Ecoboost v6 intake manifold I am fairly confident its dead-on there.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #191

The ports in the head line up nicely from what I can see(not that I can see everything since the port shape on this side is slightly different than the other, but I dont see any head flange anywhere)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Went back to work on the ITB setup today:

I cut the water pipe out of the stock manifold. There are actually a couple solutions to the water pipe issue...but I wanted to see if I could manage to re-use a portion of the stock manifold.

I also cut the back end of the driver side ITB adapter plate...I knew I was going to have to cut the mounting hole down the middle(it was cheaper when I was getting the plates made to make one design that could be used on either side with a little bit of trimming than pay the setup cost all over again to make plates that were for a specific side)

Presumably with some half washers I should be able to make one bolt hold down both the back of the adapter plate and the front of the water neck....the other side is going to be more of a challenge, but I will use some type of spacer and hold down to accomplish the same thing(this is what happens when only use part of a manifold, mounting holes dont exist where you really need them)

And here I am transitioning the port shape from the BMW shape to the Ford shape....they are the same length and width, its just the actual shape of the oval that is different, leaving a little material needing to be removed in the corners.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
i'm actually excited to hear this run, lol.
Haha...me too...I am guessing it will sound something like this Capri....which also has a 3.7L with longtubes and ITBs:

although that one is in dire need of some tuning...and mine will actually have some type of muffler.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Today I did quite a bit of little things setting up the ITBs...Finished the porting work, re-drilled the throttle shafts for new actuator arm mounting locations, shortened the Weber carb linkages as short as they would go, and test fit the bell crank to verify actuation. I think I may need to thread the carb linkages further to get just a bit more adjustability out of them, but so far so good. I do still have to modify the fuel rail brackets to fit the ITBs, and make a bracket for the bell crank, as well as come up with some type of air horn/air box solution(have a few ideas there).

These pictures just show the general operation of the bell crank....and for some reason the bottom one has an optical illusion...looks like the throttle shaft on the driver side is bent(its not).

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #198 (Edited)
I originally thought I was going to have to get a new throttle cable because of the angle I ended up with here...and where I tack welded the cable bracket...but then I realized I was an idiot and I could just rotate the bell crank 180 degrees and attach the carb linkages to the opposing throttle balls on the bell crank, so now I wont have to end up with a 4ft throttle cable...just a new cable bracket.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Nothing much today...decided to move the throttle bracket to the driver's side where it actually makes sense, and doing some work on the fuel rail brackets, modifying them to fit the throttle bodies:

I also went ahead and ordered a set of M5 air horns after seeing this build on a Porsche v8(he cut them at the center flange to change the outer angle):

I am hoping to accomplish similar fitment on my engine, if not, I will have to point them outward instead...but inward is a better option to give me enough room to build an airbox.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Today I decided I was unhappy with the passenger side header(tube length just varied too much by the time it reached the collector area) and decided to rebuild it, basing it off of the driver side header, since tube length was perfect on that one:

I didn't completely finish it, but just the balk half of one tube and the collector left to go...which I should be able to get to tomorrow.

181 - 200 of 231 Posts