Vintage Mustang Forums banner

221 - 231 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Awesome work Wicked93gs. I've been enjoying your build and find it a just little bit funny that with all the fab work you're doing that you're using an after market shock tower brace. That's not a criticism at all in case anyone reads it that way. Cheers 🍻
lol,thank you, yes, there is a disconnect there I admit, the reasoning being that since I am already doing so much fab, why do more? In reality though, its also a matter of cost...DOM tubing isn't exactly cheap...and since I have no tubing bender, all I can do is pie-slice and weld to get bends I need, by the time I buy the materials and fab it up, I am often not saving much if any on a given piece, and while my pieces may be functional...they aren't exactly pretty most times. This shock tower brace in particular I do kinda regret not fabbing...not because I could do a better job(I couldn't), but because I could certainly use one more customized to the application....aside from airbox work for the ITBs, I am really down to just a few chassis stiffening mods left(car has to be on the rotisserie for those though)...hope to be on the downhill side(assembly) of this project soon.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #222

My templating for the airbox continues. This is simply so I can get a couple templates(top and front) for the styrofoam I plan to make the plug out of and to give me a visual on how everything will work

It looks like I will be able to get away with a hood scoop somewhere between 2" and 3" by the time the airbox is done

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Got bored with bondo sculpting today, So I decided I am going to revisit my velocity stacks...in particular I will fabricate some new ones, so I decided to start by making some new flanges:

I plan on using 2" aluminum mandrel bends for the piping itself and weld these flanges at both ends(well, the outer end will get a bolt pattern that is 1mm narrower) Which will allow me to bolt on whatever length stack I want for the outer ends, giving me the ability to tune the stack length for low end torque or high end power, depending on what the car is being used for that day....I am seriously considering ditching the idea of the air box as well...giving up on the dream of a MAF sensor for easy tuning will allow me much more flexibility in intake design.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Because I am always changing direction in the middle of the build...I decided to cut some flanges to weld to the throttle bodies:

Turned out fairly well for just using a hole saw and an angle grinder(better than the upper flanges above...though I am not done with them just yet...they need a bit more shaping)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
20200219_164015_zpsff59wtkc.jpg

The aluminum intercooler piping came in today(velocity stack tubing). In this picture, the tubing length is actually 2" or so longer than the BMW stacks. What length should I make my runners? Stock length from the head surface to the plenum is roughly 15" or so...the length in the picture posted above is about the same...however the stock runners taper most of the distance...these do not taper until they hit the throttle bodies...so if I made them the same length I would not gain anything on the low end really...I would just needlessly choke the top end. I have some latitude here to go shorter...the question is how much shorter am I able to go and still retain good torque under the majority of the curve?

20200219_164458_zps9mxebrhc.jpg

Looks like I have a significant amount of TIG welding to do this weekend once I settle on runner length.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Isnt the 5 lug 65-67 spindle the same spindle drum or disc? Are you installing the 67 rear end, if so, will you still need a spacer?

If you use the Mustang Steve front brake adapters, I think the 16x7 rim will work without a spacer.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Isnt the 5 lug 65-67 spindle the same spindle drum or disc? Are you installing the 67 rear end, if so, will you still need a spacer?

If you use the Mustang Steve front brake adapters, I think the 16x7 rim will work without a spacer.
I am installing the 67 rear end(eventually) I am not sure the spacer will be needed...or if it is, it may need to be smaller(my guess is no spacer needed) and the 65-66 5 lug spindles are the same as far as I know...as are the 67-68...but the 65-66 and 67-68 5 lug spindles are different from each other in the steering arm length and shape. I wasn't aware of that fact about the Mustang Steve adapters...does it use a hub that is 1" further out or something? Or is that a function of the brackets? Brakes are something that I will likely choose a setup that is proven to stop significantly better than the stock front discs(probably the SoT setup, they had an impressive magazine test).

I also plan on getting a set of wider minilite wheels in 16" for the track...and the backspacing on those is going to be different...so that will be fun...trying to come up with some swappable wheels that lets me change between them with nothing but spacers

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Look at Mustang Steves writeup about his front brake brackets. He is running a 17x8 SN95 wheel that he had narrowed to 17x7 on the front with no spacer. The same 17x8 wheel on the rear.

221 - 231 of 231 Posts