Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been stripping all of the crud/rust/paint/critters from my '69 Sportsroof and keep finding more problems. Pretty much at this point, I am thinking it's beyond salvage. Also came across a '70 Sportsroof 302/auto for SERIOUSLY cheap $$. Here's the skinny:
My 69 was an H code, FMX,PS,PDB,AC car with a factory foldown. I bought it with no drivetrain, but the other goodies are still on it, including a rim-blow wheel, and deluxe interior cluster and clock panel (someone I presume was building a Mach 1 clone). After a near total disassembly, I have found extensive rust in BOTH rear frame rails all the way into the torque boxes, the left front frame rail is toast, and the floors are shot. Both quarters will at the least need to be reskinned. The more rust I find, the less I think this car can be brought back, as all the structural members need serious work.

A friend and fellow Mustanger who runs a local wrecking yard bought several Mustangs from an estate sale and has offered my pick. He has a 70 Sportsroof, complete less engine, instrument cluster and LF fender (wreck damage) he'll sell me for a paltry 400 bucks. Car was pretty plain-jane, 302/auto, drums, no PS no air, Grabber Green car. The 70 needs a LF frame extension and core support, but is otherwise VERY solid. Floors aren't bad, frame rails are good all around with the one exception.

My welding skills are good enough to bring the 69 back from the grave, but I keep thinking the 70 is the better car to do... of course I'd swap the PS/PDB/AC from my 69 over, and restomod it a little. Plus I already have a 73 302 sitting in the garage collecting dust........

What to do?

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
Ok, let's say I'm standing there in your shoes.I would purchase the 70 ,put all the parts into it ,cut the taillight panel out and install the 69 into the 70.I would put the 69 nose on the 70.Purchase a 69 boss stripe and clone me a 69 boss 302 with front and rear spoiler and a rear window louver.You will find having a clone will become more valuable then a plan 69 fb. ::

Just my .02 cents.
Troy in Oregon :biggrin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So register the car as a '70 I presume? Otherwise we'd be talking re-body and that's a whole NOTHER can o worms..........

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I don't think Troy was meaning to clip the front end and "recreate" the '69 with the '70 back 1/2 of the body, just put the '69 fenders, grill, hood, lights, etc. on the '70. Still the '70 car with the '70 VIN....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also just looking over the '70, I wonder if it's an original 'Grabber' car? It is an original Grabber Green car, and it fits in option-wise with what I've read... any way to tell for sure? DSO/Buck tag notification, etc?

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
just fix it - sheeesh, it's only metal work. I have done ALL of that plus a LOT more to my fastback...

and also buy that 70 and then sell it to me for the same price...

·
Registered
612 Posts
If it were me, Id get the 70, put on the 69 front parts, sell off what else you dont need of the 69 and let it die. Youll have waaaaayyyyy too much $$ and time in that one trying to bring it back compared to what it will be worth. Youll make enough ching off the spare 69 parts to pay for the 70 and more. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd keep the '70 looking like a '70. A lot less work than transferring all the '69 exterior parts over to it. Make it look like a Boss if you like, or go with the Grabber (aka 69 Boss) stripes instead. Swap the suspension and interiors and part out what remains of the 69.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts