Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used some sort of Project Management software to track their progress when restoring a Mustang? Stuff like To-Dos, cost tracking, Gantt charting, etc... ?

·
Dimples
4,356 Posts
Nothing fancy, but I have a pretty great notes document on my iPhone for my daughter's build. What it lacks in sophistication, it makes up for in ease of use. Always on me, quickly edited, and shared in the cloud so we can both work on it at the same time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just used an Excel spreadsheet to track parts and costs, moving from a Planned tab to a Completed tab as the parts were purchased and installed. Used weblinks and notes, one column for a broad category of body, engine, suspension, etc.

I stopped updating the file once the costs got to a point where I didn't want to collect any more formal evidence. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1967 Mustang coupe
108 Posts
I keep a todo list in Onenote and track all parts not installed there too.
All receipts I send there when I get the order confirmations to keep track of what i bought, when i bought it, and the damn part numbers of whatever the hell it was.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
A gantt chart would be useless for me. Last year I installed heads and headers that I purchased in 2013. I have a carpet kit that old that is on the list. A schedule = stress. :)

I bought some contact paper that is white board material. I put a 16" x 18" piece on one of my parts cabinets for my to do list. I have the dry erase marker in a tool box drawer next to it.

I do plan to scan 37 years worth of receipts into an electronic file and create and Excel log...that reminds me, I need to put that on the white board. 😄

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I know tracking the cost is not something many want to do, 😳 I don't really want to either, but more of a "I need $x,xxx more cash for the next phase". AND to make sure I have all the parts I need for each step.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use a mindmap app for the iPad called SimpleMind for planning and a list app called Things 3 for tracking next actions and shopping lists.

I don’t “schedule“ activities or dependencies like one would with a project manager app as my project car is “for fun” and will get done at the rate I want (or can afford) to work on it.

I keep all my receipts in a three ring binder with clear sleeves. I have NOT added up the receipts and probably won’t. On occasion I do take advantage of lifetime warranties (recently Napa replaces a 15 year old set of plug wires for my Toyota PU as I still had the receipt).

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Gross. I have to deal with the stuff every day at work. The reason I have my hobbies at home is precisely so I don't have to do project tracking and management.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I learned a long time ago that I don't want to know what I've spent and everything I do takes a week to 10 years longer than I wanted it to. I keep a minimum of one running toy at a time to keep my sanity.

For example, according to my discover card spend analyzer, I've spent 8K on "automotive" over the last 2 years. On what? Pffft. Ya got me, but that sure sounds like a lot of money 😆

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Are you kidding!? Yeah, that's a great idea: keep a permanent record of how much time and money you spend on the Mustang. Uh, NO. :eek:

·
VMF Ambassador
6,578 Posts
If I decided I needed to make a Gantt chart in relation to any of my hobbies I think I would have to shoot myself! God I hate everything about those things. They take more time to make than it would take to just do the project. I figure I know when I'm done. If I'm done, the car is on the road and operating as expected. If I'm not done, the car is up on jackstands and I know what I need to do to make it done.

It doesn't matter how organized you are, you will NEVER have all of the parts you will need to complete a project! It's impossible! There's always got to be at least two little ticky tack things that you forgot about or didn't realize you'd need until you get into the meat of the project.

I do keep a spreadsheet of every single part that I buy for my car though. Unfortunately I was dumb enough to not put in part numbers - only receipt dates - for the first 5 years, so if I need to replace something that I did in that time period, I have to find it in the spreadsheet, then find the receipt based on the date and get the part number from that. These days I do date, item, part number, price, and vendor. Makes it easy to replace when I inevitably kill it, and also makes it easy to track rising prices over time.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
If I decided I needed to make a Gantt chart in relation to any of my hobbies I think I would have to shoot myself! God I hate everything about those things. They take more time to make than it would take to just do the project. I figure I know when I'm done. If I'm done, the car is on the road and operating as expected. If I'm not done, the car is up on jackstands and I know what I need to do to make it done.

It doesn't matter how organized you are, you will NEVER have all of the parts you will need to complete a project! It's impossible! There's always got to be at least two little ticky tack things that you forgot about or didn't realize you'd need until you get into the meat of the project.

I do keep a spreadsheet of every single part that I buy for my car though. Unfortunately I was dumb enough to not put in part numbers - only receipt dates - for the first 5 years, so if I need to replace something that I did in that time period, I have to find it in the spreadsheet, then find the receipt based on the date and get the part number from that. These days I do date, item, part number, price, and vendor. Makes it easy to replace when I inevitably kill it, and also makes it easy to track rising prices over time.
I have 3 mustangs and one wife of 43 years and I would like to keep it that way.
She has her hobbies and I mine. But if she got A better idea what mine costs each year her remodel projects would go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds flat.

Just sayin

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have 3 mustangs and one wife of 43 years and I would like to keep it that way.
She has her hobbies and I mine. But if she got A better idea what mine costs each year her remodel projects would go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds flat.

Just sayin
Years ago I had a friend at work who's husband was restoring a car. She did decide to match his spending with supplies for her hobbies. Her hobbies were scrapbooking and makeing greeting cards if I remember right. (It was something like that). It was insane the boxes of that stuff she had shipped to the office for a few months until she gave up. I think she ended up renting a storage unit to store her supplies.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
My need to keep track of stuff is more so to remember what I have. That's the challenge with resto-moding.

When I die and my car gets passed on or sold someone will need to know what they have. :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Sounds like a terrible idea. A recipe for discouragement. However, Excel will do what you want easily...or any of the free-to-use Excel clones.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts