Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this coupe for $4k from a guy who needed a quick sell last year. Good, solid body for a project. He also had the complete new interior in boxes waiting to go in. C-4 transmission has a major leak, engine ran good. I've been skim coating and doing some minor bodywork over the last 9 mo's and buying parts at major discounts on CL and Ebay. I've also funded a lot of this by buying, restoring and reselling parts as well. I finally got primered and I'm waiting for color/clear in the next couple weeks (after it's lightly sanded with 600 grit).

Wheels were paid for by re-selling the Cragars that were already on it. I started the Mustang Steve conversion with a full set of low-mileage takeoffs from a 2010 Mustang GT brakes I bought for $100 (I still need to do the rears). I welded the radio face plate as well (I'm a newb at welding, so there was a lot of grinding and re-welding but I think I got it right).

SKIM COAT (PAPER THIN FILLER TO IRON OUT FACTORY WRINKLES)

PRIMER

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Went to visit the car today and drop off the door hinge bolts so that they could hang the doors to have nice, consistent paint across the side.

Car is now scratched/blocked with 600 grit.

Shops never give you the car back on time. They told me the end of this next week...yeah right! I can't wait to get it back.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Paint is almost done. The original color is Silver Blue. I wanted a similar color, but with a little more metallic and more blue (less gray). I decided on a modern Suburu color called Sky Blue Metallic, which has everything I wanted. I should get the car finally next week. Here's a few more pics I got today.

By the way - This shop is very easy to work with. They worked with all my requests to paint the jambs, cowl, door hinges, etc. They worked with my nit picky special requests to mask off the doors the same way factory did and they've done some work that I didn't even ask them to do. You can see in one of the pics they didn't paint the front portion that's hidden under the fenders. They're sending it through again just to paint that for me. They're highly recommended if you're in So Cal and need special attention for your car that other shops don't have the time or patience to deal with. Check out Fastlane Paint & Body 714-744-4961

·
Registered
620 Posts
very pro!!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Clear Coat Finally!!

The body shop will keep the car until this weekend. They sprayed clear Monday and Tuesday. My car was sanded to bare metal. This is the process: Skim coat with premium filler --> Epoxy/Primer --> 5 coats of PPG waterbase color --> 4 coats of clear PPG paint.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the nice words guys. The wheels are called Streeter, made by Showwheels (an Australian brand distributed here in Anaheim, CA).

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's the dash in primer. I'm real happy with the way it came out. The welding came out great, appears seamless. I'll be wet sanding it soon and then spray standard '65 Med Blue interior!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Here's the dash in primer. I'm happy with the way it came out. There's obvious welding and the butt welds appear seamless. I'll be wet sanding it soon and then spray 65 Med Blue for standard interior!
After seeing the blue exterior, I was hoping you'd go with the '65 medium blue interior. I love that color combo.

·
Registered
597 Posts
So i found a link to your thread in the maaco paint thread. Maaco painted this? or a corner body shop did? thats a crazy good deal for $2,400 dollars. I'd love to have this done to my 67

1 - 20 of 178 Posts