Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Project Tetanus, my '66 coupe restoration

39K views 216 replies 43 participants last post by  xcelr8 
#1 · (Edited)
After selling the Charger my late father and I built together I was looking for another car. Found this one online fairly local and had what I wanted, V8, stick, no power anything and was complete. Upon disassembly she had lots of rust issues and I thought about tanking the entire thing. Instead, maybe foolishly or not, I went back to my roots and dug into it. Sold some other stuff to buy the welder and tools needed and started disassembly in my garage. Here's her journey.

Car looked really great... they hid a lot of the wrong really well.

Started tearing her down.

Jig built and plan in place

See less See more
Reactions: Crustang to Mustang
#2 · (Edited)
Once the front end was on a jig and damage assessed, I started on the drivers side.

Once the drivers front clip was off I could cut the side cowl panel out then the rotted firewall area.

Once those were done, on to the toe board.

Then on to the drivers floor. Three layers of metal on this side. New seat platforms and floor supports were also done.

#113 ·
Nice job! That Stang deserved to be "TLC'd!"

My '64.5 only had pin-hole rust, so we just cleaned up the rust and welded the pin-holes shut. We used a product called Rust Bullet. It's silver like anti-seize and just like AS, it gets all over everything, which is what makes it so good against rust.
Keep up at it, she'll be ready to go by next spring.
Mine is a modified 350 horse 289, 4-speed with a 9" equa-loc, out of a '67 Merc. Cougar. Bolted right in, no drive shaft cutting, etc. 🙂

#3 · (Edited)
Now that I had something for the new front section to attach to I moved back to that.

#4 · (Edited)
Rinse/repeat on the pass side.

Original pass side front section removed and new installed.

#5 · (Edited)
The cowl.... Wasn't as bad as I had thought. Lots of the firewall lip I had to hand make and a ton of bondo/roofing tar was jammed into the rust holes. Actually enjoyed doing this part.

#6 · (Edited)
Trunk, rear frame rails, rear trunk brace and wheel housings were next. They weren't too bad, but figured if I was already doing this much I may as well replace it all with new metal. Again, one side at a time starting with the rails.

Wheel housing going in.

Finally the trunk section.

#7 · (Edited)
It's been three winters doing 100% of the work all by myself to get this far. Radio on, heater going and two layers of clothes gets it done.

I don't have any pics of the full quarter on just yet but that's where I stopped in spring. Boating season started back up and that took up all my weekend time. Now that summer is over and boat is out, I have some small odds/ends to tie up on the drivers side then I'm building a cart to turn her around and start work on pass side quarter and wheel house. There's lots more pics at my signature below if interested. Stay tuned!

Reactions: 67FSTBAK and 67six
#8 ·
Well done, man! That is a lot of good work right there, and in the way cold north at that!

I used your front end jig ideas when I made my own this year to replace my passenger side full frame rail/shock tower assembly, so thanks for that. Kinda gave me the confidence needed to get after mine, as your rust issues are much worse than my collision & rust issues combined.

Keep it up and post those quarter panel pics when you can. ('cause that may be next on my list as well ;) )

#9 ·
That's awesome, great job. I know it's so easy to just ditch the car but there's something to be said for bringing it back to life and fixing the rust. It's giving the car a new lease on life. Good luck.

#10 ·
Thanks guys! Glad the jig pics helped out. Will be a real treat when I cut that out from under the car in a couple of weeks.

#12 ·
Finished up the rear quarter and door jamb area last weekend. Also decided to pull the jig out from under the car after three seasons of working on it. Not a big deal to most, but to me it was a white knuckle moment. Happy to say she didn't fold in half lol. I also yanked the rear end so I can fit the body cart and finish seam sealing/undercoating the bottom. Finally, fixed a small rust hole in the front corner of drivers door as well

Next set of pics will be her on the cart and moved 180 deg.

Attachments

Reactions: Lees_garage
#68 ·
Finished up the rear quarter and door jamb area last weekend. Also decided to pull the jig out from under the car after three seasons of working on it. Not a big deal to most, but to me it was a white knuckle moment. Happy to say she didn't fold in half lol. I also yanked the rear end so I can fit the body cart and finish seam sealing/undercoating the bottom. Finally, fixed a small rust hole in the front corner of drivers door as well

Next set of pics will be her on the cart and moved 180 deg.
WOW! I'm late getting here but here I am. This reminds me when I was a kid going through the junkyard looking for parts for my Pontiac Judge, I looked over and seen a 56 with 289 4speed wasting away. I just had to take it home. after getting it running with parts from my friends junkyard i did some panel replacement and sent her down the road to my buddy the owned the yard. At that time my parts in his yard I got for free. So in Essence I owed him. Great work and determination is this project, much respect!

#13 ·
Wow, gives me hope. My Dad's '65 FB has similar rust issues as it was an Ohio car. Front frame rot and floors. not sure on the rear frame rails yet as I have not assessed the full extent of the damage. You did a great job on this.

Congrats.

#15 ·
Built a quick cart with my friend and turned her around yesterday. Time to start surgery on pass side.

Attachments

#17 ·
Week or so ago I hung the replacement door and partially cut off the rear quarter. More of the same but luckily the tail end of the rocker is in good shape. That will save me a day of fab and such. Also removed the wheel housing and partial rear floor pan but I'll have pics of that later. Basically just more rust carnage.

Attachments

#20 ·
Thanks! Getting rid of that jig was a big deal. It's taking a while doing everything myself on weekends here/there, but this metal work is almost done. Going through the pics gives me a seizure lol

#21 ·
Started melting the lead seam and removed what bad part of the rear floor/trunk transition metal there was. Found a 1"x2" hole in the c-pillar they filled with half inch or so of Bondo. Hopefully that's the end of surprises on this thing. Test fit the new wheel housing with great results also.

Attachments

#22 ·
Been busy since my last post but got a lot done. Installed the wheel housing, pass trunk floor, patched the pass rear seat floor, cleaned up and undercoated everything behind the quarter panel and finally finished installing the full quarter. Been a long 3yr journey with this metal work but despite a few odds/ends here all the big stuff is done. Quite happy I can start tossing the old metal (like the gas tank and such) away now that all test fits are done. Pics are lame but best I have at the moment.

Now I can put her on the cart and assemble everything to assess gaps and such . After that its strip the paint and send her off to body/paint.

Attachments

#24 ·
Sweet, glad that helped! A bit nervous at that stage but had to turn the brain off and jump in.

#26 ·
After finishing the rear quarter, I bolted on the remaining sheet metal and some other parts for a quick test fit. All looks pretty good, nothing my body guy cant finish/tweak. After vacation this week I'll pick up my rental rotisserie and get the underside buttoned up.

Attachments