Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, with the recent posts on timing and HP and whatnot, I've decided to try to tweak my 302 a little bit. However, I have no experience with timing adjustment and the related carb tuning. I have done some searches on the net for adjustment of the timing, but I haven't found anything real good. Can anyone provide an in-depth guide to adjusting timing for good power? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
If you are really going after performance, look into re-curving your distributor. You can get re-curve springs for about $10 from Summit or any speed shop, and it's actually very easy to do. There's a great article on http://www.fordmuscle.com in the archives that is excellent.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best way is trial & error at the strip & to adjust total advance. I'd start at about 30-32 total. Do this by hooking up your light in the usual manner, rev the engine slowly until the timing stops moving. Hold the rpm there & set it at the desired advance. You'll want to re-curve the distributor so you don't have too much initial advance. Also you'll want to check where your power comes on & set your curve soft enough to give full advance there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts