Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 69 with 390 is set up for A/C & Auto. My problem is that the car runs very warm. I have a new 3+ radiator coming from NPD. I just put in a new 190 degree thermostat. The timing is decent and it has new factory dual exhaust. Very mild cam. I was going down I-75 at 70 mph with outside temp at 94. The guage was 3/4 toward the end of the normal band. My current 6 bladed fan does not have a clutch like it should. I would say there is quite a bit of gap between fan and radiator.

Short of the long, what should that gap really be? Thanks for your help. I hate this hobby. Never ending.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
That three row radiator (assuming your using a two row now) should do the trick. If your lower hose does not have a spring in it, you might want to find one that does. It might be that the lower hose is being sucked closed (or nearly closed) while running down the highway.

Sorry to hear you say you "hate this hobby". If you were not doing this, where else would you pour all your time and money? ;)

Good Luck,

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Don't bury fan in the shroud. Tips of fan should be outside shroud area 1inch or so or you will be blowing air against the shroud and not through engine compartment Gary

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Agreed – the back half of the fan sticking out the shroud makes all the difference in the world. Trust me on this one!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Couple more things to check

1) take out thermostat and boil it to make sure it opens at right temp.Use a cooking thermometer to verify

2) make sure thermostat is not installed backwards as this is a common problem on big blocks.

·
Registered
893 Posts
oh yea, from what I have read else where the stock temp gauge in this car is notorius for being way off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts