Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't take the relentless hounding I was having to endure from Charles Turner, Steve Grant and my other concours-obsessed friends were giving me! All this talk about defacing an original, correct GT was too much.....I caved in! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I have the motor out of the car, and need to know what the correct way to paint it is relating to which intake accessories get painted and which do not. Such accessories would include the bypass hose and clamps, the temp sending unit, the heater hose nipple fitting, the 1" carb. spacer and the vacuum tree. Additionally, were the exhaust manifolds painted the block color, or were they installed after the block was painted? TIA /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The bypass hose was only painted block color on big block cars. The temp sending unit would not be painted. The carb spacer would have been natural, as would the vacuum tree. The exhaust manifolds were natural. I use Eastwood's exhaust manifold grey. It holds up real well.

The nipple fitting that comes out of the manifold is the only one I'm not completely sure about. I'll look if no one else chimes in...

Also, I think that the lower half of the fuel line bracket should be block color (it is on a 65), as it was installed when the water pump was put on. I've seen that bracket several different ways, so you might get a ruling from CT on that one.

When you use the dress up kit, you need to make sure that the tabs of the valve cover gaskets are correct. I think the tabs would be painted too, as the engine was painted with valve covers, but not the chrome ones. They probably used the same valve cover gaskets, so that is another one to check.

That's all I can remember right now.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Paint it with a roller, one with small knap, NEVER, EVER use a brush! (This was what you were asking, right??/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

1 - 4 of 4 Posts