Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I continue with the various subcomponents in my restoration I am stumped with the routing of one of the power steering hoses. I purchased NOS replacements and the one which is giving me fits is from the control valve to the pump itself. This is the larger diameter of the two hoses and has the other end which clamps to the drop nozzle on the back of the pump.

It seems that at the end where it attaches to the control valve interferes with either the tie rod and/or the pitman arm depending upon how I position it. I do NOT want to start bending the pre-formed steel portion of the hose until I am sure I am not missing something here.

I'm hoping someone has a good photo of how this is routed so I can copy. I took a digital picture of how I "think" it goes but can only email to someone who can help. Have not figured out how to post pictures yet.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
When you say that it "interferes", do you mean that it "rubs up against" as the steering is turned lock to lock, but doesn't prohibit travel? Mine have always seemed to rub slightly, but not impede travel.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By "interfere" I mean I can not seem to get the hose connected to the control valve at all without the hose being in an obvious wrong position. Sticking almost straight upwards where it will surely hit the engine block.

When I attempt to route it below the cross member like I "think" it is supposed to go I find the arcs in the pre-bent metal section of the hose hit or "interfere" with either the pitman arm or the tierod.

This is why I am hoping someone has a clear picture of their setup.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've got three pictures now, totalling about 140k bytes, but can't get the FTP stuff working in order to upload them to my webpage. I'll email you one rather than clog up the forum. Let me know if you'd like the other two.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ok, got three pics you can access by going here > http://users.crosspaths.net/~woodywrkng/ps.htm

The hose looks like it hangs a bit low, but it doesn't ever seem to touch anything and has lasted for several years without a problem. Routing it other ways resulted in the steel tube section becoming stressed and eventually splitting.

·
Registered
258 Posts
On my car, I've found that both hoses routed over both the crossmember and the drag link, is the best way. They have plenty of room to flex and move, and thus don't fail. When I bought the car, 25 years ago, they were routed differently, but I don't recall how. The pressure hose broke at the steel part every 3 years or so until I figured it out.

Having seen a pic of yours, I'm thinking that you currently have both hoses aiming 180 degrees outa whack, compared to my car. On mine, both the pressure (smaller) and return hose attach to the control valve, aim toward the rear of the car, and then a gentle loop is formed in the rubber section of both hoses to aim forwards towards the pump. The pressure hose is the one which hangs down and can be seen under the car from a distance. See if you can turn them around in that general direction. Of course, I could be all wet on this so hopefully someone has another opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts