Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What way are you guys using to flush all the dirty rusty/water/coolant out of your 289??

·
Premium Member
4,881 Posts
Drain everything from the radiator, the block and water pump, including opening the drains on the Block, backflushing with a garden hose and getting as much of that out as possible, closing everything off and refilling the entire system with white vinegar... Crank up the car and get it to full operating temperature then shut it off... let it sit overnight... Drain all of that out and you will be amazed at what comes out of your car. Then put a filter at the inlet for your radiator to catch anything that comes out of the system, take out the thermostat, fill everything with plain water and continue flushing and running and flushing again until you get nothing but clear water coming out of every place. Drain everything, replace the thermostat with a Robertshaw type, and refill the system with 60% nitrite and silicate free coolant, 40% distilled water. Start and let run with the radiator cap off with the front of the car raised up a little like on a driveway incline to make sure all of the air comes out of the system, top off as needed. Replace cap. Enjoy.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
To flush, I put a garden hose adapter at the heater hose, then disconnected the lower radiator hose at the block. After tap water ran clear, I returned everything back to normal.

Next I did a couple ThermoCure treatments, following directions for more flushing. I use a Gano filter at the upper radiator hose, so I'm screen filtering sediment from fouling the radiator. I'm satisfied.

Reactions: 67Ragtopp

·
Registered
996 Posts
Drain everything from the radiator, the block and water pump, including opening the drains on the Block, backflushing with a garden hose and getting as much of that out as possible, closing everything off and refilling the entire system with white vinegar... Crank up the car and get it to full operating temperature then shut it off... let it sit overnight... Drain all of that out and you will be amazed at what comes out of your car. Then put a filter at the inlet for your radiator to catch anything that comes out of the system, take out the thermostat, fill everything with plain water and continue flushing and running and flushing again until you get nothing but clear water coming out of every place. Drain everything, replace the thermostat with a Robertshaw type, and refill the system with 60% nitrite and silicate free coolant, 40% distilled water. Start and let run with the radiator cap off with the front of the car raised up a little like on a driveway incline to make sure all of the air comes out of the system, top off as needed. Replace cap. Enjoy.
Actually, apple cider vinegar is a better choice to add to your block as it's a little more acidic than white vinegar. I've used that many times to clean the rust off bolts and parts.

·
Premium Member
4,881 Posts
Actually, apple cider vinegar is a better choice to add to your block as it's a little more acidic than white vinegar. I've used that many times to clean the rust off bolts and parts.
I don't like the smell, the other stuff was cheap and it worked, but I might try the apple sometime. Thanks.

·
Registered
36,597 Posts
Drain the radiator. Remove the thermostat and reinstall the housing. Fill with clean water and 8oz of "Shout!" laundry spot remover. Run until it gets warm and then another 20-30 minutes. Drain and flush again with clean water. Refill with clean water and Mercedes-Benz citrus-based flush, according to directions. Repeat if necessary. When done, pull block drains and flush everything with clean water. Pull the intake manifold heater hose and flush the heater core. Replace the block drains with sacrificial zinc "pencil" anodes, install a new thermostat, and fill with coolant.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Drain the radiator. Remove the thermostat and reinstall the housing. Fill with clean water and 8oz of "Shout!" laundry spot remover. Run until it gets warm and then another 20-30 minutes. Drain and flush again with clean water. Refill with clean water and Mercedes-Benz citrus-based flush, according to directions. Repeat if necessary. When done, pull block drains and flush everything with clean water. Pull the intake manifold heater hose and flush the heater core. Replace the block drains with sacrificial zinc "pencil" anodes, install a new thermostat, and fill with coolant.
Bart Where do you get the Mercedes Flush? At the dealer I assume? Where do you get your anodes from? Just wondering what the Shout does?

·
Registered
36,597 Posts
Bart Where do you get the Mercedes Flush? At the dealer I assume? Where do you get your anodes from? Just wondering what the Shout does?
You can go to a dealer or online from Pelican Parts: Mercedes Radiator Flush Citric Acid Crystals Genuine Mercedes 000989102511 000 989 10 25 11 000-989-10-25-11 000.989.10.25.11 | Pelican Parts

Anodes you can get from Summit as well as many marine supply houses/dealers.

The Shout! spot remover cleans any petroleum residues from the surface so the citric acid will work better and doesn't suds like Dawn or other degreasers.... it'd take DAYS to get all the soap out.LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts