Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the deal with these things? I need one for my car but have seen the prices all over the place. Can someone explain why they are so expensive? Seems to me they just regulate how much fluid is distributed to the back brakes versus the front brakes.

Can someone tell me what part numbers would work on my car? I am sticking with the stock power fropnt disc brake and rear drum (for now). Do I have to go with the $125 replacement one or is there a later model Granada or something that will work the same?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
All you need to do is find someone parting out a 68 with front disc brakes and get it. There should be alot of them out there yet and be had for around $20.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It depends on if you want to use stock line and fitting sizes, or don't mind doing a little modifying. The ones from just about any 68/69 Fairlane,Comet, Cougar with disc brakes will be similar in appearance to stock. Now if you don't mind looking different, most of the Ford cars from the 70's right up until early 80's with disc brakes used a similar type combination proportioning valve/distribution block. They all look pretty much like the 70-73 Mustang with disc brakes, mounting brackets are sometimes layed out a bit different and I am not sure if fitting sizes are all the same, but they can be made to work and usually had for cheap at a local junk yard.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Or you could just buy the $30 adjustable and be done with it. The originals are a PITA, will require a $30 rebuild kit, you'll have to make a special tool to get the end off to rebuild it (ask me how I know) and will hose up the first time the outer o-ring (made of some loose foam material) slides back/gets wet/lets dirt in. Going Concours? No? Get the adjustable.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
The number on the 68 prop valve is C70742B091-C The second 7 maybe wrong as someone had pliers on it. Piece is brass. It is made by the M B Co. The number on the dist block is C8ZA-2B257 Made By Wagner 1402 brass The dist block is 4" in length with six brake line ports and a plastic brake lite switch hookup.

These are hard to find items and are NOT routinely available for $20. In 67, for example, less than 10% had disc brakes. Should you be able to find the setup, the prop rebuild kit is available at www.cobranda.com Am currently working on mine, looking for rebuild tips. By way of dimension the prop valve is 3" in length by 5/8" diameter The dist block and prop valve are both on the same braket and connected by two short lines. My car is a 68 cv with 302 and these pieces are original.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
After posting last nite, getting a good sleep, thought more about the prop valve. Just happen to have a new adjustable one from SSBC-freebie, zip, nada!! Tried it, half heartedly and wala! it is a fit to order with one line modification! Installed it on car loose and it's not a problem! Will save the original for another day. What's said above is true re the rebuild, according to a guy I talked to Sat. at a show. My post above will help you ID the original but you may want to go the easier softer way, if concours correct is not an issue! With all lines, harnesses, booster, and MC installed, it will not be that noticeable.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I think I will look into the SSBC version. Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
On my 67 the generic adjustable one fits right into the place of the original "lipstick tube" proportioning valve IF you get the right adapters. No brake line cutting/bending/flaring required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts