Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to convert our 66 289 auto mustang to a standard.I was wondering if someone could tell me the pros & cons of the T 5 and The top loader.I don't know which one I should use.

thank You Mike ::

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
You need to tell us how strong your engine is for us to tell you whether a T5 is a good fit, so I will just give you some basics to help you on your way...

A world class T5 is only good to about 400 lb/ft of torque. If you have more than that you can kiss your T5 goodbye pretty quickly.

The toploader is strong enough to stand up to just about anything you care to throw it's way.

The T5 is an overdrive transmission, which means that if you use the car on the freeway you will love it.

The toploader has a final ratio of 1:1, which means that with gearing of 3.00:1 or lower in the back of your car you will not enjoy freeway speeds much at all.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would also like to add the weight difference. The T5 is approx. 75 lbs. The top loader must be in the area of 100-110 lbs. I'll weigh the top loader after I get it back together. But it is a horse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts